Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Sony A100

Sony A100

Hello all, I have recently been thinking of taking up photography again after many years away from SLR cameras, I have now decided to spend some money and buy a DSLR. I had originally been thinking about buying the Canon 30D, but having seen some of the reports on the new Sony A100 this seems like a very good choice. Also after seeing some of the shots taken using it's internal Image Stabalisation, it does look very good, and would make my life slightly easier.

Now my question for those who know far more than me is this; I am intending buying the camera kit, but I would like to invest a little more money and buy a good Wide Angle lens, and also a Macro lens. could you give me some advice on what would be suitable and what would be good value for money.

I know Carl Zeiss lenses are good and they would be wondefull to have, but I do value my life above lenses as "her indoors" would ..... well you know that story.

Many thanks
    Adrian

Re: Sony A100

The Super Steady Shot anti-shake system in the A100 is wonderful. It works really, really well. I think the kit lens that comes with the A100 is surprisingly good. I have no doubt that there are better lenses. However, I'm not sure what's available right now for the Sony, unless you look for used Konica Minolta lenses. And I don't think the Zeiss lenses are available yet. I think I'd recommend getting the kit lens and not worrying about it. I've been very, very happy with it so far. And I have a bunch of Canon primes and a couple of Canon L lenses. So it's not like I don't appreciate good optics. Like I said - I think the kit lens is surprisingly good.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Wolf/Ritz camera has some lenses in stock at the store level, and are expecting more "very soon". The wide angle, and the 300mm is in stores. The macro isn't, unfortunately, but they should get it within the next 30 days (according to a local manager). Third parties have lenses available still in the same mount as well, go for it.

Thank you for the replies, kit lenses will certainly do the one lens i would like to add is a macro, I will keep my eyes open for the first releases.

KEH has the 90mm Tamron 2.8 macro in stock in the $300 range, it's said to be an excellent lens, and it is in the KM/Sony mount. Used, but in excellent condition.

Hi Adrian.. I've been studying up on this matter (sony a100 and macro lens').. I plan to get a maxxum 100mm, or preferrably a maxxum 50mm, 2.8

ebay has a bunch for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaKisses
    Hi Adrian.. I've been studying up on this matter (sony a100 and macro lens').. I plan to get a maxxum 100mm, or preferrably a maxxum 50mm, 2.8
    Did you get an A100? Does this mean you'll be spending more time with us

I have a 50mm f/2.5 Canon macro for my Canon SLR and I like it a lot. The tradeoff is you have to get pretty close with it. You have better light control and are less likely to get stung when taking pictures of wasps with a longer macro lens.
    Photo-John

Yep!.. more time with ya ;)

I tend to Like to get closer..
    I'm ordering a 55 to 49mm adapter, so i can try my A200 macro lens on the new sony..
    macro, macro macro!...lol.. I also have a 70-210 on the way, 30 bucks on ebay, so.. i thought, what the heck, i'll have it ;)

Just on my way to check out yer new photos... (I have a few I need to post from my last 3 trips to the UK!)

Well I now have WAF (Wife Approval Factor) so can go out and spend some money. I am going to buy the A100 it seems like a very good entry in to the DSLR market. I am going to buy the 2 lens Kit, and then probably add a Macro lens pretty quickly (before wife takes away my credit card). I think I shall look on E-Bay and see what Maxxum Macro's there are see if I can find a bargain.

I am looking forward to using the forums much more often.

PS. Photo-John, I have really enjoyed looking at some of your pictures they are great.

Cool Re: Sony A100

I was at Ritz Camera today and they had the 18-200mm. The only odd thing about the camera setup was that the shutter sound was kind of loud. I took a couple of pictures with it around the store and I notice the LCD was way brighter than my Rebel XT . Good luck with the A100.

Quote Originally Posted by cr_mmurillo
    I was at Ritz Camera today and they had the 18-200mm. The only odd thing about the camera setup was that the shutter sound was kind of loud. I took a couple of pictures with it around the store and I notice the LCD was way brighter than my Rebel XT . Good luck with the A100.
    Confirmed! You're right, Matt. It has a very loud shutter. I took some photos at a wedding the second day I had it and the shutter clunk made me very uncomfortable. Thanks for reminding me of that. I'm going to add it to my review.
    Photo-John

yeah, it's definitely a loud shutter click, but it's just a small flaw ;)

Hey guys.
    I picked up this bad boy.
    I love it to death.
    Even in regualr light situations.
    I don't have to look like the paparazzi and pull out a flash
    in most situations.

I'm a newbie, so i want to know for sports photography
    Football and then for basketball.
    I have a younger brother who plays for Wichita State and the cover of SI was shot from like
    the other end of the basketball court a good 100 feet away.

I'll post the results of the photo when it's zoomed in......

So i'm wondering because i just bought an apple a 1000 camera with a 4gb memory stick,
    i should have looked at other options but i was on the road.

So any crazy purchase on a lens with a child on the way in 6 months will erupt the wife / mt.vesuvius....

so any info would be great on what i should look for and specs on a lens that can do do this .....

thanks
    NikeSneakers

thanks
    nikesneakers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sony A100-0331_large.jpg  

Trading in my Rebel XT for a Sony Alpha 100. Here is one of the pictures I took today. I wasn't sure at first, but I am glad I did.

This one was zoomed in at 200mm ( bought 18-200mm sony lens) . This is just resized no other editing.

This is my first day of using it and so far so good.

Thread Information