Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Re: Replacement for 5D kit lens, flash issues

How close to the stage/artists were you? I have shot several concerts at ISO 400 and 800 with no problems, using the kit lens, the 70-210 f/4, and a sigma 400 5.6. I am typically on the stage or first row though.

Usually I set my flash on rear curtain, and -1 to - 1 1/2 stops. Almost any of the 2.8 lenses should be good quality, as they typically are along the top of the line from any given manufacturer.

Could you post an example and perhaps EXIF so we may be able to provide more help?

Replacement for 5D kit lens, flash issues

I have been using my KM Maxxum 5D for about a year and a quarter, but just recently started getting stuff for it. I originally got it because my previous point-and-shoots had horrible low-light performance (even bright indoor shots didn't come out well) and I wanted something with a bigger CCD to deal with that.

However, I am now getting into more advanced photography and am starting to outgrow what came in the one-lens kit. I recently bought a Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash, which I have received, and a Minolta 80-210mm f/4 "beercan" lens, which I have not, but should be getting in about a week.

Shooting with my Sigma flash yesterday in lower light, I noticed that the camera was having trouble metering properly. In one indoor portrait shot I managed to overcome the metering problems by setting a +1 eV flash exposure compensation on the body. However, that didn't do the trick when I was taking pictures at a very-low-light musical performance that evening. There, direct flash worked fine (but was ugly), but bounce flash was way too dark at 1/60th of a second. I needed to reduce the shutter speed to between 1/40th and 1/15th of a second, depending on the angle. I also needed to bump the ISO up to 1600 or 3200, which obviously caused some noise. I was using the flash on full power in the default automatic metering mode. Is there something I need to be doing differently?

I think that part of the problem was the 18-70mm kit lens, which at 28mm has a minimum f-stop of f/5. I think I would be better served by a constant f/2.8 lens of around the same focal length -- 17-28 mm minimum, 70-80mm max. Does anyone have suggestions on what lens to get? I want to spend as little as possible, but don't want to go out and buy something that I'll be unhappy with just to save a few bucks. I have been looking at the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 but am not sure how well people like that.

Cliff's Notes:

-- Have been using my 5D for over a year and finally starting to buy stuff for it
    -- Got a Sigma flash and a "beercan" lens
    -- Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash -- having trouble getting bright enough shots with bounce flash at 1/60th of a second
    -- Recommendations for a good f/2.8, equivalent focal length replacement for the 18-70mm kit lens?
    Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, 18-70mm kit lens, Minolta 80-210mm f/4 "beercan" lens, Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    How close to the stage/artists were you? I have shot several concerts at ISO 400 and 800 with no problems, using the kit lens, the 70-210 f/4, and a sigma 400 5.6. I am typically on the stage or first row though.
    I was fairly close -- it was a small room (and a poorly lit room, too). I wasn't quite on stage as you can see by the photos, but I wasn't that far away from it.

Usually I set my flash on rear curtain, and -1 to - 1 1/2 stops. Almost any of the 2.8 lenses should be good quality, as they typically are along the top of the line from any given manufacturer.
    What is rear curtain? And do you mean you set your flash down 1-1.5 stops, or the camera itself? Also, I am used to film cameras with 1/60th, 1/30th, 1/15th, etc. but nothing in between. How do the stops work on DSLRs -- is it still that 1/60th to 1/30th is a stop, or if you can select 1/40th on the camera, is 1/40th to 1/30th a stop?

Could you post an example and perhaps EXIF so we may be able to provide more help?
    2249 is one that didn't work so well:

Focal Length -- 50 mm
    F-Number -- F/5.6
    Exposure Time -- 1/30 sec.
    ISO Speed -- ISO-800
    Metering Mode -- Pattern
    Light Source -- Shutter Priority
    Exposure Program -- Shutter Priority
    Exposure Compensation -- +1 step

2264 also didn't work great:

Focal Length -- 35 mm
    F-Number -- F/5.6
    Exposure Time -- 1/40 sec.
    ISO Speed -- ISO-1600
    Metering Mode -- Pattern
    Exposure Compensation -- +2 step

2267 is one of the better ones:

Focal Length -- 30 mm
    F-Number -- F/5
    Exposure Time -- 1/30 sec.
    ISO Speed -- ISO-1600
    Metering Mode -- Pattern
    Exposure Compensation -- +2 step
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement for 5D kit lens, flash issues-pict2249-small-.jpg   Replacement for 5D kit lens, flash issues-pict2264-small-.jpg   Replacement for 5D kit lens, flash issues-pict2267-small-.jpg  
    Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, 18-70mm kit lens, Minolta 80-210mm f/4 "beercan" lens, Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash :devil:

Try spot metering and spot of the person's face that you want properly exposed. Usually their face will be brighter and give you a faster shutter speed. Then you can bring up shadow detail in post processing. The 2.8 may be beneficial to you here.

Rear curtain fires the flash at the end of the exposure, allowing a more even exposure instead of the "Dark cave" look you typically get with flash. The -1 or 1 1/2 I mentioned was flash compensation, but you certainly don't need to turn it down here. That is what I suggest for a full stage lighting setup. Photo-John has some awesome nightclub technique, I will search for it later and post link for you. Stops are the same, but your camera may be set to move in 1/3 stops or 1/2 stops.

Thread Information