Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Please help me choose ? Alpha 200+2 or 350 ?

Sony Alpha 200 plus 18-70 & 73-300mm lenses OR 350 with 18-70 alone ?

I'm thinking about the extra megapixels when blowing shots up to poster size
    - ie HUGE,and the tilting screen,which can be very handy around a stage,plus I do use live view,but maybe can do without...the extra lens would come in very handy,but doesn't the 350 have zoom,too ?... help !

PS in case I'm not sounding excited enough,here comes my first DSLR !! YEAH !!

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Re: Please help me choose ? Alpha 200+2 or 350 ?

My first choice would be the A350 with no lens and to then pick up some nice, used Minolta lenses. Second choice would be the 350 with the kit lens. I see the strengths of my 350 as the tilt up/down live view and in-camera stabilization. – TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

The 200 has in-camera stabilization as well. Is it less effective than the one on the 350?
    --Pete

If I recall correctly, the A200 and A350 both claim a 3 stop advantage from Sony, as such I would assume they are the same stabilizer effectiveness.

I second that either body with no kit lens, go for the classic minolta lens - a good 28-85 f3.5-4.5, or if you can squeeze focal range even more perhaps the 24-50f4 or the 35-70f4. On the telephoto - definitely forgo the 75-300 in favor of the 70-210 f/4 beercan, the constant f4, smooth zoom and focus rings, solid build, etc. Don't forget your prime 50 either, you'll be surprised that prime 50 would likely be your most versatile. You may spend a bit more for the Minolta lens, but they'll give you better return on your investment.

What are you finding the cost difference between the two cameras, with body only?

*edit - here, check out on the IR "Comparomater" link, the image sample differences between the A350 and A200.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Hi Susaan,

Thanks for the PM. If you are going to be making HUGE prints then you would benefit from the extra mega pixels of the a350. However, there's a catch. In order to actually benefit from those extra pixels, you'll need some quality glass with enough resolving power to get the most out of the a350. I would do what everyone else said and just get the body only and buy a better lens separately. The kit 18-70 is decent at f/8 to f/11 for most, but on the a350 it is certainly lacking. The a200 can't be bought body only unfortunately.

You gain live view and the tilting LCD with the a350, but you will lose viewfinder magnification. One of the most common complaints about the a300/a350 is the 'tunnel vision' viewfinder. If you do a lot of live view shooting it might not be a problem. If you use the viewfinder most of the time, it may be a bit disappointing. The a350's viewfinder has .74x magnification, while the a200 has .83x. Other advantages for a200 are burst rate and high ISO performance. Again, it may or may not matter to you depending on your expected shooting situations.

This is all good info. and thanks for getting back so quick - I have some ideas about bodies only,too - but as I'm not in reach of B & H ,for example,may have to compromise on the deal.

Do you have any names for UV/polarizing filters ? Sony stuff will be too expensive for me,for a while,could use a recommendation.

Canuck,really appreciate the time you took to reply,what you told me is exactly what I need to hear - and since my old Cybershot suffers from not being able to use all its pixels due to small sensor,I'll be careful not to fall into that trap,again.Also the viewfinder data is really useful,as I cannot use live view much in the intense tropical sun.

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

Susaan -

Hoya multi-coated UV Filters are the cheapest I've found without being crap - they should run around $25-30 for ~ 55mm thread. Also check out KEH.com for the used lens, if you're iffy about EBay orders.

Thanks, Anbesol !

I used that info,and returned with...(drum roll,please)....A 40D Canon plus nifty fifty.

- I can only say the deal I was looking for just didn't fit my budget, and a new camera came off reserve,letting me get it and a lens,plus crumpler bag that would fit all my gear
    (2 cameras) and be waterproof (think tropical rainstorms) spare battery and UV filter for just under $1000,plus I can swap lenses with my brother,who owns the same camera.

Excited,confused by all the new stuff to learn and heading out to the fields at first light !!

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Awesome! Congrats on your new toy.

Ah shoot! I was hoping to be seeing a new member of the Sony/Minolta forums. Ah well, great camera and lens choice anyways! Sort of makes more sense though seeing as you have a relative on the same system. I am glad you got yourself the fifty, was it the 1.8 or the 1.4? Lets see some shots!

Y'know,Anbesol,
    I would have loved to stay with Sony,but the recent problems with their Jakarta service center was a bit of a deal-breaker for me.
    BUT I still have the Cybershot,and judging by last weekends photos,its far from finished,just well worn,and I'll be using it alongside -
    My lens is the 50mm 1.8 II ,btw,its awesome for its price and really sharp .
    (I posted some firsts on viewfinder,thought it a bit cheeky to do so,here ! )

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

Thread Information