Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Photoshop Raw from Alpha200

How do I view amd work on camera RAW images fro a alpha200 in PhotoshopCS2. At present if I try and open a camera RAW image in CS2 it says it is not in the right format.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Photoshop Raw from Alpha200

Welcome to the Forum. The first thing I would do is check to make sure you have all the current updates for Photoshop.

At some point Adobe stopped updating CS2 to all of the new camera RAW formats. If the Alpha200 came out after this, then CS2 will not be able to open your native RAW files. This happened to me when I bought a new camera a while back. There is a work around but it will add an extra step to your work flow. You will have to convert your Alpha200 RAW files to the Adobe DNG format. The DNG files are a universal RAW file format that Adobe introduced a while back. Once you have your files converted to DNG you will be able to open and process them like any normal RAW file.

You're other option is to update to a newer version of Photoshop that does handle your Alpha200 RAW files or use a program such as Lightroom or Aperture to process your files.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The latest ACR that will work with CS2 is v3.7 which will NOT work with the A200.

Another option is to render them with the Sony software that came with camera (or can be downloaded from the Sony site) and then open them in CS2.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Hi All.
    I also had the same problem as ripring and could not open my RAW Files in CS2.
    I did as OldClicker suggested and used the software that came with The Alpha 200.
    I also found that you can open your RAW Files in GIMP, http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    which is Freeware.After downloading GIMP you need to download UFraw, http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Install.html
    which is also free.
    Once you have installed GIMP,which has to be installed first,and UFraw you just open GIMP,click new and then find your RAW File and it will open UFraw within Gimp.
    There are lots of tools and tweaks for you to alter your RAW Files and is very good considering its free.
    Hope this is of use to someone and I have explained it correctly.
    Best Regards.
    Eifion

had the same problem, thanks for wonderful replies guys ... much appreciated
    MuHurTo
    Get FREE hosting, windows or Linux VPS unix Shells or get your own website in minutes.
    BanGlaCafe
    Meet your local singles, chat with friends or just talk to people all over the globe

Thread Information