Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Newb with an A100

Hey gang, just picked up an A100 this weekend. Excited to find the board too, looks A100 owners are few and far between at the moment! I'm upgrading from a KM A2, which I still love. I've missed having a true SLR for some time now even though the A2 is about as close as it gets. I went in to look at the Nikon bodies (knowing KM was now kaput) and the salesperson asked what kind of SLR I was used to and I threw out Maxxum and so the Alpha was a natural fit. I even still have a couple of lenses; somewhere! I had no idea about the A100 and Sony's buyout but my salesperson was very informed.

Photo John, I'm enjoying your write-ups and pics. I haven't had a chance to fire many shots with this yet but I love the speed. The noise level seems reasonable as well. I'll share pics once I get a chance to shoot a few worthy frames.

Tad Abraham

Welcome!

Welcome to the site. Happy to have another A100 user here. Glad you're enjoying the photos and posts I've made. Although the camera is for testing purposes, I am really enjoying it. And it's exciting to have something this new to talk about and play with.

I'm looking forward to seeing some photos. Please post some here and in the gallery when you feel ready. And please also post reviews for your new camera and the KM lenses you already have. Reviews for those lenses are going to be more popular now I think.

You can read and write Sony Alpha A100 reviews here >>

And you can read and write Konica Minolta lens reviews here >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Talking Re: Newb with an A100

I picked up my A 100 last night. I was a long time Minolta user before I switched to a Canon Rebel 300 D. The few pictures that I have taken have made me very glad to be back to a (Minolta) Sony.

Re: Newb with an A100

Welcome to another Sony A100 user!

I'm curious, can you tell me what the critical differences are between the Canon 300D and your new A100? I've used both, but besides resolution and the Sony's Super Steady Shot anti-shake, they seem pretty comparable to me. I'd like to know what it is that makes you prefer the Minolta / Sony camera and system to your 300D / Digital Rebel. And I'm not judging, I'm just curious.

By the way, when you've had your A100 long enough to feel comfortable doing it, please post a review. We need more reviews for the camera and the new Sony lenses (or your old Maxxum lenses).

Read and write Sony Alpha A100 reviews >>
    Upload digital photos to the gallery >>

Thanks for posting!
    Photo-John

mines just arrived today,,looking forward to using it,,i also have an a2 which i love and will keep using,,i have been a lifelong minolta user and was about to get a dynax 7 when the takeover took place,,i waited for the a100 and the reviews and it seems like sony have kept basically to the minolta tradition,,i found the controls so easy after my a2,,,really looking forward to putting it through its paces,,i got the camera with the 18-70 lens kit,,i will get different lenses later,,i got this because in the past with slrs i usually got a couple of lenses and a flash etc and spent so much time swapping lenses and flashes i never learned the camera properly,,now with just one lens i will do just that,,,good shooting

good choice of camera! Yes youre right, it basically is a minolta camera with the sony name on it - matter of fact, i believe it was even manufactured in minolta plants, and the design and function of it was created by minolta as well. the only thing sony changed was some minor aesthetics and their battery.

im curious too as to why you prefer the a-100 over the rebel as well, grandma. maybe you have some of minoltas great lenses?

I just picked up an A100 today. I came as a crossover from the MTBR boards that PhotoJohn frequents. I'm really looking forward to honing my skills with this camera on the trails.

A Lot More

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    good choice of camera! Yes youre right, it basically is a minolta camera with the sony name on it - matter of fact, i believe it was even manufactured in minolta plants, and the design and function of it was created by minolta as well. the only thing sony changed was some minor aesthetics and their battery.
    It's actually very different than the Minolta digital SLRs. It did inherit some key Konica Minolta technology - the anti-shake system, eye-start, and the lens mount. But Sony has done a really good job with this camera, including a lot of their own development. By all reports, the Super Steady Shot is much improved over the KM anti-shake system. My own experience so far proves it to be excellent. Other features not in the KM cameras are an anti-dust system, DRO Dynamic Range Optimization, Sony's Bionz processor, and the excellent 10.2-megapixel sensor. So if anyone is wondering whether it's worth upgrading or buying instead of a used KM digital body, the answer would be yes.

I'm wrapping up my detailed review of the A100 right now. I should have it live on the site in a few days.
    Photo-John

i finally got my a100 last week just havent had a chance to play with it

Quote Originally Posted by sakbarzad
    i finally got my a100 last week just havent had a chance to play with it
    Congratulations, Sal! I think you're going to love it. Can't wait to see some photos from you. I am using the A100 more than my Canon digital SLRs
    Photo-John

alot of people are impressed with the pics u droped off... but i cant wait to use my camera in la and san diego this weekend

Thread Information