Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

New Sony Alpha Owner-Question?

Hi there, new to this and photography. I have already taken some amazing photos with my new Sony A100 digital. A question I have is probably an easy one for this group, but here goes. When I take a photo indoors in lower light (like of a Christmas Tree for example), the shutter speed is slow and the photo always ends up blurry even with the shake control on. Any tips on this....I have it on Auto everything, so I'm sure there is a better way without using the flash. Welcome any and all tips. thanks and looking forward to being a member.

Re: New Sony Alpha Owner-Question?

hi there,i guess from what u've said that u are shooting indoor,so the 1st problem that gets to my mind is the lack of sufficient light,and as u know the lesser the light the more u need to open ur shutter for a proper exposure,so handholding a cam (even with anti-shake turned on) will be a problem,so i recommend u to use a tripod and frame ur subject in auto mode and leave ur cam do the rest,or u can use the tripod with some manual settings and some white balance etc .... either ways i hope ull get what u want from ur cam cause i think its a good cam with good features too.
    Bassam KHATTAR
    [Rules are made to be BROKEN]

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I have never used auto ISO but perhaps that it is limiting your ISO range. I would try setting ISO manually to 800 or 1600 and try that. Try a faster lens. If all else fails and room/ambient lighting just isn't enough you'll need to put it on a tripod.

There is a limit to what the anti-shake can do. With proper technique and the kit lens you can reasonably expect to shoot as slow as 1/10th of a second. And even then you'll need to practice and be careful. Are you watching your shutter speed when you take a picture? If not, it's time to start. You can't avoid camera shake if you don't know what your shutter speed is. If you want some more control, try switching the camera to shutter priority (Tv) and selecting a shutter speed you know will work. One 15th or 30th of a second with the anti-shake on is a pretty sure thing.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information