Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: New a700

New a700

Took delivery today of a brand new (old stock) a700 plus sony vario 24-70 f2.8 ssm zeis and also the 16-35 f2.8. Am delighted to have the a700 as back up to the a900. Its a wonderful no-frills work horse - I learned to regret selling the first one.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: New a700

I definitely have a bit of lens envy right now..

Good catch! My A700 is in the shop - again. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Unhappy Re: a700 back "in the shop - again"

Geez Louise, Clicker ... there ought to be something more substantial they can do ... LIKE GIVE YOU A NEW ONE.

I cannot even imagine how disruptive not having my DSLR would be. It would be tantamount to not having a car or a specific tool to do your job: like a carpenter without a hammer! Driving nails like this, instead -> :mad2:

I can honestly say concerning the A700 that I have only had the "thumbwheel" :thumbsup: problem (like many others have) in the past 2.5 years of ownership. The A850 has been stellar for the past 9 months of ownership.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I have had zero problems with my a700 and I bought it when it came out.. There should be a "lemon" rule with camera's. After so many times in the shop it's probably best just to replace the whole thing..

Re: a700 back "in the shop - again"

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap
    Geez Louise, Clicker ... there ought to be something more substantial they can do ... LIKE GIVE YOU A NEW ONE.

I cannot even imagine how disruptive not having my DSLR would be. It would be tantamount to not having a car or a specific tool to do your job: like a carpenter without a hammer! Driving nails like this, instead -> :mad2:

I can honestly say concerning the A700 that I have only had the "thumbwheel" :thumbsup: problem (like many others have) in the past 2.5 years of ownership. The A850 has been stellar for the past 9 months of ownership.
    Thanks for the sympathy - it helps.

The problem was strange. First it just started taking a looooong time to return after taking a shot with the CF card, but was fine with the Memory Stick. Then it would take so long that it would lock up and I would have to remove the battery for hours to get it to come back on. So I switched to the Memory stick, but it soon started the same thing with it also. To do it one card at a time like that, I have to think corrupted firmware. Really pi$$ed me off that you cannot reload v4. We'll see what they say. (Sent it to Precision this time.)

I bought it used for a good price and that's how it goes sometimes. Though I have now paid as much as I would have if I had bought a new one, I would not have paid that much all at once, so it works out. Also, I have other hammers in the tools box. I use my A350 at least half the time even when I do have the A700 working - love that Live View.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Question Re: yeah, how about a "new" a700

I think Precision Camera should restore the camera to Ver 4 for you, TF. It is a routine load out for them, so you should be fine.

I have to admit that it took Precision Camera three times (back and forth) to get my a700 properly corrected, even after I told them specifically what was wrong with it and specified the part number from the SONY Service documentation. They always think they know better ... and because of that technical arrogance, I was out my camera for almost six weeks.

Good luck and if you can, my advice is to insist on a "replacement" unit. They have quite a few in the "back room", doing nothing but sitting there, when it could be in your hands, doing what YOU paid for. :thumbsup:
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Newly developed?

*edit - aww the spam post was deleted. :P
    Last edited by Anbesol; 09-18-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Thread Information