Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

need help with lights please a100

Hi guys, i need some help please. I have a sony a100 body with some not too expensive lenses and I am really an amateur hobby photographer. For me it is time to learn lighting and I'll try to shoot some portrait photos and product photos (not for sale). I learn with practice (can not learn only from books), but i am having some hardware knowledge issues. My hubby bought me 2 HV36 flashes from ebay last week (have not got them yet), and I bought a kit from ebay for studio lighting but know I am in sort of a panic that I won't be able to use them... The kit is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_4726wt_1161. And now I am in a panic that i should not have ordered it because I won't be able to connect and use them together Or can I buy some adapter or wireless trigger or remote or something that will allow me to use them? I was all excited about this and now...
    please help, and let me know how I can do this...
    thanks,
    Maria

Re: need help with lights please a100

Can you give us a link to the flash? Is it this one?

http://www.dyxum.com/flashes/detail.asp?IDFlash=183

It appears that the ebay system is triggered from a sync port which I don't think the A100 has. You can get one for <$20 like this:

http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0131/index.shtml

I'm not sure how the sync adapter is going to affect the flash (especially since I don't even know what the flash is yet).

360 Watts isn't very much light, but you will have the stands and umbrellas.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

yes, that is the flash

I know 360 is not much but I just started learning about lights, this will be my learning equipment, and also i do not have the money to get more expensive...
    I just don't know if I can work them together somehow.... the 2 studio flashes, the 2 sony 36 flashes and my camera

The F36 flashes will work wirelessly from the pop-up flash on the A100 and (I think) will way over-power the eBay ones. What I would try to do is use the stands/umbrella/soft-box with the F36s wireless. You will need some adapters. Check back when you get the stuff and we should be able to figure something out. - TF

btw - There are many on this sight way more knowledgeable about lighting than I am though I do know a lot of the Sony non-standard work-arounds.
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

thanks I see what will happen when I get them

Lightbulb Responsible flash photography ... be prepared

One of the shortfalls of the a100 design was the lack of a pc-sync port, which triggers remote flash systems.

Yes, you could buy SONY's $100 hot shoe adapter, but you are cash strapped and that seems a little silly, when you could get a far cheaper adapter from ... Gadget Infinity (<- click this link). If you order it today, you should have it in about a week.

Now, obviously, I have no idea how much experience you have with flash lighting, but coordinating a pair of HVL-F36AM flashes with external strobes flashes is not going to be any panacea, by any means.

Please take into account that the HVL-F36AM is an older technology (inherited from Minolta) and has been, now, eliminated by SONY. Their support is going to be effectively nil in regards to questions and whatnot. In other words, they have moved on.

Still, the HVL-F36AM was designed to work specifically with the a100 DSLR (also discontinued and no longer supported). If you plan on keeping the a100 and are NOT upgrading for a while, it would behoove you to get your hands on a SONY HVL-F56AM or a Minolta 5600 HS (D) (identical design to the HVL-F56AM and usually at a cheaper price) flash. You can always sell it later, if need be.

The HVL-F56AM (5600 HS (D)) is not only a better flash, but is also a "controller" for multiple flashes.and can provide RATIO control. This allows the MASTER (HVL-F56AM) to adjust, wirelessly, the intensity of your two SLAVE (HVL-F36AM) flashes, without you having to traipse over (more like trip over everything between you and your subject) and manually play with them. You can simply adjust the remote & master flash intensities right from the back of the HVL-F56AM (Now, doesn't that sound handy?).

This can save you:

1) a lot of setup time,
    2) subject angst, as they wait for you to quit playing
    3) accidentally tipping of your equipment and whatnot, scampering back and forth, in power adjustment
    4) You will appear more professional, in your work (for what that may be worth)

With the HVL-F56AM & the two HVL-F36AM flashes, you really should not need to use the two studio strobes, unless you simply do not have batteries. Three electronic flashes will make quick work of a set of rechargeables ... so have at least two sets of 4 for each flash (in this case, 24 rechargeable batteries and do not mix brands or power capacities ... use minimum 2500 mAh ). Believe me when I tell you that it will drain your wallet pretty quick, if you are only using standard "AA" batteries. I also recommend have a full set (12) of regular batteries, in your bag, as an emergency solution, not as your "working" one. Let's face it, there are going to be times you just forget to recharge the rechargeables and some shots will not wait three hours.

Practice "sound thinking" when it comes to doing this, right from the start, and you will reduce the impact on your expenses enormously.

Also, consider reading this thread ... it also deals with flash ideas.

Good luck, Maria. You asked and don't say, I didn't tell ya.

BTW ... if you get back in time, here's a possible find for the Controller
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-02-2010 at 11:03 PM.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Lightbulb Some really reasonable costs for some flash power

One of the “budget” flash solutions resides in a manufacturer rather close to my home. The Morris Company builds MASTER & SLAVE flash units that screw right into regular 120v lamp sockets. They can make for an extremely affordable solution to main and background strobes. The MASTER-type units have a port on them that allows for wired triggering, or you can trigger them in SLAVE mode your camera’s pop up flash or external flash unit.

The SLAVE-units are a bit cheaper and can only trigger when they “sense” another flash going off. They have no wired-sync port.

All you have to do is place them in a standard 120v lamp socket, point the flash at your subject or background and you are in business.

need help with lights please a100-master-screw-flash.jpg

Now, you have to bear in mind that these flash units are what they are, simple units, as far as lumens go. There are no intensity adjustments on them to be made, other than positioning them closer or further away from your subject. You can use reflective devices and colored-lenses on them, to offer different lighting effects, but they are limited in that way.

The main attraction is that they are truly cost-effective, for what they do, and work as advertised. For 85% of the standard shots, you do not have to spend a lot of money to be effective. Sure, it helps to have better and more flexible gear, but what the heck, you should start somewhere and you can make a $100 go a lot further with a pair of these. You just have to understand what you have to work with, where the light really needs to be … and go from there.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

If you try much ,them you can be more professional .

Thread Information