Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Minolta 7000

Minolta 7000

Question, A guy who bought a 7000 from me claims the following in bottom statement. I thought the aperature changes only when firing the shutter, correct? or is his statement below true?

Confused?????????

"you need to install a lens on the camera and point it to bright light source then low light source and you can see the lens aperture does not change as it should. With bright light the lens should close down to f11, f16 but it stays wide open all the time"

Re: Minolta 7000

Well yes of course the aperture only changes when the shutter is firing. The DOF preview button can also close the aperture outside of shutter firing. What he says makes no sense, it doesn't automatically close down without either shutter or dof press.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Yes, the lens only stops down when the shutter is released or when a DOF preview button is pressed. Otherwise it will remain wide open.

I don't know of any exceptions to this in modern cameras. The camera "brain" sends an electronic signal to the lens right before the shutter opens, then cancels that signal when the shutter closes. With the 7000 in manual, you can order f16 or so, with a slow enough shutter speed to observe the lens stopping down. One of the advantages, to me, is the lack of "lens check" which makes it my camera of choice for using with my manual lenses and bellows or extension tubes for macro photos.

Phil

Thread Information