Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

The Minolta 100mm f/2.8 macro.

As some of you know, I recently acquired this piece of equipment.

First impressions: The focus motor is loud. However, also to my delight, autofocus in the 1:4-infinite range is actually surprisingly quick (Paired with the A700, set to limit focus). The full and limit focus function is useful in preventing hunting trips, it traps the focus ring either above 1:4, or below it. Using autofocus below the 1:4 range is possible with a huge amount of ambient light and decent contrast.

The 3600HS(D) bounce flash works surprisingly well with this lens in macro mode (even with bounce angles). The flash was very usable even at f11.

The focus ring doesn't glide as smoothly as the beercan, but at least it is a non-rotating focus. The focus gears made some subtly uncomfortable noises when changing from the 1:2-1:1 focus area. Dont know if this is just mine that sounds like this, maybe I'm the lucky one? Or, maybe I'm being nitpicky.

The bokeh looks great! Certainly as soft as the beercan (maybe even softer!), but is it as beautifully creamy? I'll test more and find out.

It is now the sharpest lens I have! As expected from a telephoto prime, the detail and distortion is positively flawless.

Have run into some flagrant flare, but it seems to occur fairly infrequently. The deep focus element from the front of the lens also makes for a very tight lens hood in the 1:4-infinite range, helping to really get rid of flare in the only situations they're likely to occur.

The focus ring is very functionally marked, and the focus readout is well designed and helpful. In Macro use, these things are seriously vital.

Build quality - think beercan, slightly lighter (not much), and a focus ring with much stronger resistance.

Definitely met my expectations and then some. My highest expectation from this lens going in, was that it would produce seriously sharp fine detail - and on this note it delivers plus! If I take a picture of someones eye - in most lighting situations, I can see even the fine detail of a reflection in the pupil, and strands of hair can be counted on heads in portrait focus range. Forget that its not a "digitally optimized" lens, this lens has spectacularly sharp detail and great CA control.

Both of these shots have minimal tonal adjustments done in photoshop, neither have been sharpened!

The eye: 1/80th", f6.3, ISO 400 - this was actually at the 1:4 focus range!

Echo, my husky - 1/500th" f2.8, ISO 250
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Minolta 100mm f/2.8 macro.-dsc02679-2.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: The Minolta 100mm f/2.8 macro.

Stop staring at me!

srsly though, nice!

I'm saving my pennies for one, as well as a 3600 flash. I bet it doesn't sound nearly as bad as the vivitar 'plastic fantastic' 100mm macro I recently picked up. :wink5: The bokeh is surprising for such an inexpensive lens, here's a pic of an assassin bug I took recently with it (only my 2nd time using it).

My 50mm/2.8 minolta macro is built like a tank too, and I believe is makes similar 'noise' at close focusing. The rest of your comments about the 100mm apply well to my 50mm.

I find that I only use AF when not in macro mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Minolta 100mm f/2.8 macro.-assassins2-dsc01323_1sm.jpg  
    Sony a100
    minolta: 50mm/2.8 macro, 70-210/4 beercan, 28-105 Xi
    100mm vivitar macro...
    hey, it's a decent start (=

Nice eye(s) on both photos. I love my Min 100/2.8. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Logbiter - Glad to hear I'm not the only one who hears it. It is very subtle but its unnerving in any event. The focus mechanism seems smooth throughout and it doesn't seem to be a real problem, but still unnerving.

Clicker - WOW! I love this piece! Why didn't you make me get one earlier?!? I think my beercan may have to take second seat to favorite, and so far its been a strong favorite in a very favorable set of lens'.

I'll have to spend some more time with it, try it in more lighting environments and in the summer, the beercan's throne hasn't been removed yet but hey its a democracy - I'll have to campaign with the 100 a bit more before I can be so bold as to dub it my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Logbiter - Glad to hear I'm not the only one who hears it. It is very subtle but its unnerving in any event. The focus mechanism seems smooth throughout and it doesn't seem to be a real problem, but still unnerving.

Clicker - WOW! I love this piece! Why didn't you make me get one earlier?!? I think my beercan may have to take second seat to favorite, and so far its been a strong favorite in a very favorable set of lens'.

I'll have to spend some more time with it, try it in more lighting environments and in the summer, the beercan's throne hasn't been removed yet but hey its a democracy - I'll have to campaign with the 100 a bit more before I can be so bold as to dub it my favorite.
    I've never used it for anything other than close-ups; so it and the beercan still each have their places. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Ah I see.

Tested the 100 with a fast moving subject, pretty low contrast dark solid black subject (German Shepard). A little disappointed in its speed and responsiveness. Initially more contrasty subjects would pop up pretty quick - but the beercan actually fares much better in varying contrasty af environments than the 100, even with the limit function (wich gives it identical focal range). I was almost expecting a better AF with the macro with the limit function and being an f/2.8 prime - no dice. Oh well, that was the last purpose of this lens for me.

By the way, I phrased incorrectly, its not the focus motor that is loud, its the focus gears, since the motor is in the body... *doy*!
    Last edited by Anbesol; 02-28-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Okay - ran into plenty of CA by now . And here I thought I may have gotten away with it. It didn't show up with text, but the bright sun against a statue. Pretty harsh elements though...
    Last edited by Anbesol; 03-12-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Thread Information