Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: MD/MA Adapter

MD/MA Adapter

Thinking about getting the MD/MA adapter to give myself a larger lens collection, and perhaps a 1:1 macro capability at a cheap price. So I thought about the MD lens potential, but I have some concerns about IQ and function. I also have some concerns about the aperture interaction. Has anybody had any experience with these adapters?

How about this particular adapter: Link. Is there a better one? Which one is the best?

Re: MD/MA Adapter

Mine hasn't arrived yet, so I have no hands-on. I'm getting the same one without glass (macro only - I have a Minolta MD bellows). A couple of options to think about:

- If you are only going to shoot macros, get one without any glass. More glass can only degrade the IQ and is only needed to focus at infinity.

- Some adapters have a chip in them that allows the focus 'confirm' to work on the Sony cameras. Still manual, but it confirms in the viewfinder/LCD.

Also, check the prices of the old macros. Many have the same idea and the macro SR mount lenses are not nearly as cheap as the non-macros.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks for the information! I think I may hold off until I am certain which adapter type I would find more useful (with or w/out glass). I'm still curious how much of the focus end gets cut off by that extra ~0.5 inch. I suppose it would also vary by lens, would it be more of a focus cut-off on prime?

maybe I'll just have to get both and figure out which ones the best. Wheres the best place to purchase them from?

"Wheres the best place to purchase them from?" Mine's coming from the same place you were looking at??? - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Mine arrived today - two week delivery. Fits on OK, but it is loose radially (???). It doesn't spin on tight - you can keep spinning it back and forth. Since it's not going side to side, up/down or changing the focal length, it really doesn't matter much for my bellows work. It would probably work using it with a standard lens also, but it is an indication of poor quality. Also, I can only focus out to about 5 or 6 feet with just a lens using this no-glass model - long ways from infinity. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Wow! Bummer, thanks for letting me know, I guess an adapter with glass is necessary for me then.

Hi All,

I have an adapter with glass so I can use MD mount lenses on my Maximum film bodies. Seems to work great. I have film in processing now, which will be scanned and I'll post some results on here. I also use a bellows or extension tubes as necessary to capture my subject.

If you use film cameras, check the shutter lock defeat at http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/faq.php#lenscheck. There is a lot of useful info on this website.

I bought a maxxum 7000 film body just for use with manual lenses, telescopes (future) and macro work. I love it so much I now own three. Not giving up my more modern bodies, but love the feel and heft of the 7000. BTW, most I paid for a 7000 is $20 with shipping.

I got my MD to Canon EOS adapter. Fitted an old Tokina 75-200mm lens. My golden retriever was nearby, shot at close to the minimum focus distance.

1. The lens is a pretty cheap lens, does pretty well though.
    2. The glass element in the adapter does not cause enough problem for me to see.

I hope this helps.

I bought my adapters from jiakgong on ebay. Reasonable price, got them pretty quick.

This was scanned from film. ISO 200 Fuji, Maxxum 7000 camera, MD to MA Adapter, MD bellows, Minolta 50mm f1.7 MD lens.

Thread Information