Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Maxxum 5 date

Maxxum 5 date

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and I have a few a questions.
    1st I just puchased a Maxxum 5 date 35mm slr film camera on e-bay I'm trying to get some information on it and your opinions on how you like the camera.

Also I do want to buy a good flash for it does anyone know what kind to look for?

It's been a number of years since I've done any photography I do have the maxxum 5xi which is a nice camera as well but after looking at the specs for the 5 date I cudnt turn it down especially with a 300mm zoom lens.

Anyone thanks everyone in advance Dan
    [SIZE="4"]

It's not how much the camera is that makes the photo wonderful, It's the person behind it.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Maxxum 5 date

Quote Originally Posted by Favre421
    Hi everyone I'm new to this site and I have a few a questions.
    1st I just puchased a Maxxum 5 date 35mm slr film camera on e-bay I'm trying to get some information on it and your opinions on how you like the camera.
    Hi Dan, I have never owned the 5 myself, but I debated picking one up as an upgrade from my XTsi. I ended up getting the Maxxum 7 instead and never looked back. The 5 is definitely a nice camera to start and learn with.

Also I do want to buy a good flash for it does anyone know what kind to look for?
    I have only used the Sony 56 flash, which is just a re-badged Minolta 5600hs flash. It is an excellent flash with a full set of features and capability. If you don't need the swivel head the 3600 is a cheaper option.

It's been a number of years since I've done any photography I do have the maxxum 5xi which is a nice camera as well but after looking at the specs for the 5 date I cudnt turn it down especially with a 300mm zoom lens.

Anyone thanks everyone in advance Dan
    Hopefully you still have your lenses with your 5xi? They will work with the 5 as well as with the KM and Sony DSLR's.

Good afternoon and thank you for the wonderful reply's. I would like to get the swivle head flash simply becouse it gives me more options. As for the 5xi I only have the lens thats on it so I'm in good shape. Depending on how the new camera works out (the seller said it worked great) I may give my 5xi to my daughter. She and my wife went on a trip to Indianapolis and my daughter took some great photo's with my canon point and shoot. My wife said she really showed an interest in photography so the best way to start out in my opinion is with a film camera that way you really have to think abt the shot and your settings therefore you learn more once you've gotten a handle on things with a film camera then you can move up to digital just my opinion.

Anyway thanks agn for the great info. Have a great day Dan
    [SIZE="4"]

It's not how much the camera is that makes the photo wonderful, It's the person behind it.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I agree that it is better to learn with film, though maybe that's just because that's how I did it. Anyways, it really does force you to think about your shot a little more. You compose more carefully, meter more carefully, then check and double check everything. The advantage that digital has is the instant feedback.

Well, I hope that it all works out for you and your daughter can start shooting too. Don't forget to get some of your (and your daughters) shots scanned so you can share them here. We have a great critique forum or you can just share in viewfinder or one of the more specific forums.

I suppose I should take my own advice. I don't often post pictures, but occasionally I'll get in the mood. I mostly just prowl around and read and learn. Anyways, we're glad to have you Dan!

Thread Information