Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Lightbulb Looming on the horizon

It can drive you mad, but waiting for the new upgrade for the A700 is rather annoying. There are so many things that can be improved upon, without even broaching the subject of built-in video nonsense or GPS.

My biggest concerns are:
    • Adding a better (more AF points, in better groupings) and faster focusing system
    • Having more range control over noise issues (1600+)
    • maintaining compatibility with the existing vertical grip
    • Ratio control over remote flash units
    • HSS with the built-in flash
    • Micro adjust that works for all lenses, not just SONY (this might begin to solve some film-lens issues)
    • Active DOF calculator
    • Better compatibility identifying lenses mounted on it. (Let's face it, there are only so many SONY-mount lenses out there )

You may add you own thoughts to this posting and I hope you do. The A700 was kick-butt start to the really workable system, but we ain't there, yet. ;)

Looming on the horizon-ax00-17-50-f2.8-small.jpg
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Re: Looming on the horizon

A real mirror lock up. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

whatsup with the ax00?

Anyway - I hope they get rid of all those stupid beginner modes, they make my control dial look ugly ;).

There is indication on the SonyStyle-Japan web site that the A700 is no longer in production. We may see the new one real soon. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

My SONY Rep, locally, tells me the A700 replacement camera will be out next Sept/Oct. and should be real nice. It's too bad the "SONY Style" store will be about the only around here to carry it, because it would be better serviced by local brick & mortar stores, not a 'Televisions R Us."
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Well, the a700 is more than enough for me, but to steal/comment on other suggestions..
    • Flash Ratio Control: Yes, please!!
    • AF Micro Adjust: No brainer, gimmie gimmie gimmie!!
    • DOF calculator: Never thought of that, but that would be a nice feature. That would eliminate the need for DOF preview. No more trying to judge DOF through near darkness at smaller apertures.
    • Eliminate dum-dum modes: Yes, goodbye! Most people buying a camera at this level have moved well beyond the need for these modes (I would hope, anyway).

Again, these things would be nice, but I'm certainly not complaining about the a700 in any way here. I love my a700, and I'll give it up when it's pried from my cold dead hands. The replacement is going to have to be one heck of a machine for me to want to 'upgrade' to it..

Still love my a100...

How does a dof calculator display in the viewfinder? Does it just light up the focus points? I haven't heard of this before. In any event, the DOF preview button is one of my best friends, can't imagine I'd want to replace it.

But yeah Canuck, definitely share those sentiments, I can't even part with my Maxxum 5D.

Honestly - I don't see myself even upgrading to the immediate successor to the A700, I am hoping I can hold over till the next generation (or, A900). But, its all a matter of what added features come from the upgrade, if its a 1.25x crop sensor, then I'll certainly add it to the list. I also hope they dont just pack it with an insanely huge megapixel count, something more conservative like 15 or 16 (if on a 1.5x crop) I think would be nice, or even yet an upgraded and enhanced 12 megapixel sensor.

There's a lot of 'buzz' about a sub-$2k full frame sensor as an A800. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I'd call that almost impossible, there really is no space for any other model between a700 and a900 with full frame. I'd even say a 1.25x crop sensor is way more likely, still unlikely, but fingers crossed.

Thread Information