Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Lens recommendations for sports

I have someone coming for photo lessons next week, and she shoots the Sony A230. She mainly shoots sports along with an occasional wedding and will be looking for advice on her next lens, along with basic photo tips and processing.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Re: Lens recommendations for sports

The A230 is the bottom of the line from Sony for DSLR features or even SLR 'look and feel'. It comes with the 18-55mm lens which is good for a kit lens. Just remember, this is a $450 body plus lens.

Lens recommendation depends on the budget. Every Maxxum/Alpha lens made by Minolta or Sony since 1985 will work.

Most everyone would love a 70-200mm f/2.8 G no matter what brand, but they aren't cheap. The 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G is about 1/2 the price of the 70-200, but needs good light. There are a ton of good used Minolta lenses out there, but research is needed. Don't forget the new and used primes and that everything is stabilized with the Sony.

Others here are more familiar with the 3rd party offerings and will probably chime in. If you have more specific question or need info, ask.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Yep, this will be a big jump... Any lens for this will cost twice what the camera body costs... Yes, glass is a better investment, and glass will last longer, but... This next step is a serious commitment...

My favorite used piece of glass is my Minolta 80-200mm f2.8 HS lens... These go for $1100-$1200... Something new in this range will cost a few hundred more...

Sigma and Tamron both make similar 70-200mm (give or take a little) f2.8 lenses for a little less than this, but the quality is not quite the same when shooting wide open. Still, they get favorable reviews... The Sony equal is a few hundred more, at around $1600 or so... (pulling from memory, correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, as you can see, it's a big jump... You can get a cheaper, slower lens to get the zoom/range, but you need good daylight to make these work well...

- G

A little late to the party, but surprised noone mentioned the beercan, easily the most cost friendly telephoto value out there for Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    A little late to the party, but surprised noone mentioned the beercan, easily the most cost friendly telephoto value out there for Sony.
    Never too late.

However, I'm thinking this would be too slow of a lens for indoor sports.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Thread Information