Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

lens for 25mp camera

Are any of the older Minolta lenses up to the task of showing off the pixels in the A850 or A900?

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: lens for 25mp camera

I'd say the G glass is the best bet if you're going to pair older lenses with a850/900.

How old ... the MC/MD mounts might not be up to it ... the AF lenses are different matter.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Quote Originally Posted by rongarrett
    Are any of the older Minolta lenses up to the task of showing off the pixels in the A850 or A900?
    Thank you.

Absolutely they are. My 24-50 f/4 does great on full frame, even border performance at wide angle. Even the old 24-105 has some great border performance on full frame. There are plenty of old minolta lens that do great full frame.

The 24mpix sensor isn't the bottleneck here, the old minolta lenses do great even on the 12 and 14mpix APS sensors, which have greater pixel density than the full frame A850/900. The difference will be simply the border performance. I've seen some old Minoltas that have better border performance than modern equivalents. On Dyxum there are reviews of every lens, some of the reviews specifically try out the lens on full frame gear.

Are you asking this as a general question, or do you have specific Minolta lens' you want to pair with an A900?

Thread Information