Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Just arrived request memory card thoughts

Greetings,
    I just found this site and have already enjoyed just looking at some of the great pictures.

I've just about decided to purchase Sony DSC H50.
    When I start looking at memory cards I don't know how to determine which is most desireable.

Sony Mem.Stick Pro Duo
    Sandisk Ultra High Speed II
    Sandisk magic gate tech.

Just to name three I've found. But I still don't know if some are apples and others are oranges. OR maybe some are lemons < can't see lemons but neither could I tell if one was likely to be a lemon.

One more question, is 4 GB enough for the part time shooter?

Thanks to all who provide an opinion. Norris

Re: Just arrived request memory card thoughts

Those are, more than anything, just different brand names. Sandisks 'magic gate' is their standard speed memory, and high speed II of course is simply a higher speed card, meaning - it can read/write at faster rates, allowing faster data transfer to your computer, and a faster buffer dump in your camera. Reliability is ~ the same between the two though. I would typically take the slow one if it costs half as much as the faster one. Sony and Sandisk both offer high quality flash memory products, can't go wrong either way. I can't imagine high speed cards giving you a practical or even real benefit in that camera, but files would transfer to your hard drive quicker.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Like Anbesol said, you will at least enjoy the benefits of faster transfer rates to your computer, which for me is worth it because I don't like waiting. I usually only carry 4GB when shooting with my a700 in cRAW, so I would think that is a good start for your H50. Welcome to the forums!

I've got two 4 GB cards for my a700, standard speed. One is ample, but it was nice with the spare when one got corrupted :blush2: If the high speed card is twice the price, I'm sure glad to have two 4 GB standard speeds instead of one 8 GB high speed. I just go make a cuppa while the photos are transferring...
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

Thread Information