Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

I was VERY disappointed!!

After waiting for a very long time for A900, I hold the camera last week. By my surprise, I found the grip was bigger than the grip of Minolta Dynax 7, my current film camera. As a result barely I was able to grab it in my hand, although my fingers were not able to hold it completely. Unfortunately the Sony Manufacturer DID NOT put the hand wrist, otherwise I could hold that grip with hand wrist.
    Now, I have two choices:
    1) Sell all of my Minolta System and go for Canon EOS 5D, or
    2) wait till somebody in Sony RECOGNIZE that not many photographers have a big hands, then try to bring the new models with a smaller grip similar to Minolta Dynax 7.

NOW, I wonder has anybody has the same feeling about the grip of this new camera?
    Also I wonder if anybody has a solution for my problem about holding the grip?

Please help me and write your feeling or suggestions.

kombizz, a DISAPPOINTED photographer!!!
    I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.

k o m b i z z

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: I was VERY disappointed!!

That's too bad. I haven't had a chance to handle an a900 but I suspect I would very much like the grip. Then again I've got largish hands. Compared to the 5D it is 7mm thicker, and only 2.3mm over my current a700. It does seem like Sony has chunkier grips than other manufacturers. I guess it's just a matter of trying to find a balance to satisfy most people. I mostly see praise for Sony's large grips, but I can see how many people with smaller hands would have an issue.

I'm not sure what you meant by hand wrist, but I'm guessing that is like a hand strap which Sony does sell separately and are also available elsewhere for much cheaper. This may help you out. Depending on what and how much Minolta gear you have, you may be taking a huge hit to sell it all and start over with another system. Then again if the grip size is really that much of a problem, it may be worth it to you.

I am quite surprised! I own the a700, which feels like a perfect fit in my tiny hands - I'm 5ft 3" and a very slim build with 5 1/2 US size feet and equally small hands. Along with my Minolta Dynax 800si, I've also got the Dynax 7 like you, the latter which I actually thought was a bit on the small side. So I think it may not be the size, more a "feel" thing somehow, I don't know if it is something one can get used to, but it sure would be a shame for you to write off all your Minolta kit which works wonderfully with the Sony Alpha series. Did you consider the a700?

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

Im another large handed guy so the large grip is a bonus for me, I actually always liked sony's grips better than the Canon's and Nikon's. I suppose if you've got little hands that would make a difference. I would get the hand strap if I were you, I certainly wouldn't switch to another whole system just because the grip.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Honestly, I've got REALLY little hands, and I much prefer Sony's grip too!

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

I'm not much help either. I think I'm closer to the "average hand size", for a male at least, and I liked the feel of the new a900 when I got to handle it. I like my a700 too, but would prefer both with a vertical grip attached most of the time.

It's safe to say they will not make a smaller gripped camera with the same or similar feature set as the a900. Most feedback they get from the more avid photographers and reviewers rewards the substantial grips...

Unless you are kidding, I really don't know what to say. I don't think that I'm sorry that you are disappointed. Are you expecting to Sony or Canon or Pentax to make a camera for the size of your hands?, really?
    I also have small hands, but... tough luck, unfortunately there's a bigger group that needs to be pleased, so I will have to get used to (same with the shifters and brakes of my mtb, and the mouse of my computer, etc, etc, etc, etc) whatever I can get.
    Aren't you happy about the very good product that they posted on the market? isn't there anything that you like about the camera?, don't you like it for what it is and what produces? (great camera, great pictures)
    Don't you think that you'll get used to it after 2 weeks?

Expectations?

Maybe your expectations about the size of the camera are a little off? The Sony Alpha A900 is designed to compete with cameras like the Canon EOS-1D series and the Nikon D3. Those are big cameras. And like the top-of-the-line Nikon and Canon bodies, the A900 has a burlier build and a lot more power than it's smaller siblings. You also have to think about the full-size sensor with image stabilization. That requires a much larger sensor assembly than an APS-C sensor camera like your Konica Minolta or the other Sony Alpha DSLRs.

So, you may still decide that a smaller camera is better for you. But I wouldn't be disappointed in Sony. I'm sure there are plenty of valid reasons for the size of the camera. And personally, camera fit isn't a consideration for me. Performance is all that matters. I have every size of camera made and they all feel fine to me as long as their getting the job done.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information