Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: hooray!

hooray!

So, I sent in a tax adjustment for my federal, they sent me a letter telling me how much it changed to, and apparently they stated the *difference*, not the combined total. Translation: $1000 ahead of what I thought I was getting. So, with that extra I decided to get a better portrait range lens. If I could find the Zeiss 16-80 for around $500, I may just go with that, but I think the 28-75 is whats going to do it for me. Soooo I tracked down a Tamron 28-75, AND I actually found a Konica Minolta 28-75 as well. So, I'm in a tricky situation, I'm inclined to go for the Minolta, but its a price difference of $80, and there isn't much difference I'm aware of between the two. Soo... Should I splurge the extra $80 for the Minolta, or just do the budget conscious thing and go for the Tamron?

*edit - Also, is there *any reason* for me to look at the Sigma 24-70 alternatively? The extra 4mm wide makes no difference for me, how about quality/performance?
    Last edited by Anbesol; 04-27-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Re: hooray!

According to all the reviews I've read the Sigmas (the jury is out on the new hsm version) aren't as sharp as the Tamrons...

And between the Tamron and the Minolta, the Tamron probably has a touch better customer support...

I definitely feel like the Tamron 28-75 2.8 will be my next lens. I have a wedding gig next month, but dunno if I can swing it before then. Right now I have the 16-80, and it's great, just not quite fast enough for the dungeon of a church I go to...

If I could shoot at f2.8 instead of f4.5, I'd probably leave the iso cruising around 1600, and let my flash recycle faster/ batteries last longer...

BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

I've had decent results with my KM 28-75 that I found NIB last year.. It's not the sharpest tool in the shed at f2.8, but that's usually okay for portrait work for me at least, especially in low/natural light situations...

And really, I have heard of new measurable differences between the Tamron version and Minolta version... If you are finding either one "new" in box, you can bet the Tamron would be newer, and you'll have warranty options with that one at least...

I have heard that its very sharp f/4+, is the word 'very' an exaggeration here?

Customer support doesn't matter to me, I've never had to use customer support for any of my gear so far, figure the odds would have to be pretty astronomical.

The design and construction of the Tamron and Minolta are uncannily identical. Same filter size, same focus range, same internal focussing, same number of elements, spread out in the same number of groups, same # aperture blades, etc etc etc. Considering the 28-75 f/2.8 is one of the few newer model lens of Minoltas Sony did not rebadge, I'm beginning to think they sold the engineering rights of it to Tamron. Very strange, anybody know when the Tamron production started for this lens?

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Right, the Tamron and KM versions are pretty much identical. The Tamron has a zoom lock I believe and the KM does not. The KM version is said to have better quality control and I've heard that KM used their own lens coatings (this may or may not be true). I got the KM version and it is a great portrait lens. The 16-80 Zeiss is something special, but for portraiture the 28-75 is my go-to lens. I don't think you could go wrong with either version.

EDIT:
    As for Tamron and KM sharing lens designs, it is said that KM (and now Sony) has licensed the designs from Tamron, and not the other way around. Other lenses that are nearly identical are the Tamron/KM/Sony 11-18, 18-200, 18-250. That's all that I can think of at the moment.

oh wow! I wouldn't have thought it was the other way around and KM actually were the lazy money spenders. And, what do you mean Sony licensed that design from them? Sony isn't making the 28-75. Or, are they planning to? I also didn't know that about the 18-200/250. Canuck you rock you're just a font of Sony facts, thanks!

Well anyway - I probably could have gotten a better deal on the Tamron, but I think I want *all* of my lens to say "Minolta", and not have one bastard stepchild in the mix, its just not right for the family! So, I went ahead and ordered the KM for $375. I'm hyped to get it and start working it. Thanks for your input guys!

Oh wow! I found out the answer to my question already, sony IS planning on redoing the 28-75 f/2.8,

It looks like Minolta/Sony aren't the only ones doing it too, just saw an 'all new Nikon 10-24 f/3.5-4.5'....

Hmm... Looks pretty similar in demensions at least to the existing design, just adding Tamron's zoom lock...

The only thing with the old KM version is zoom creep when walking around. The lens hood fits nicely on the lens reversed, not taking up much room. I use a thick rubber band and fits nicely over this, keeping the lens from zooming out when walking around or taking the lens in and out of my bag... No biggie...

And yes, it's very sharp at f4+, and still quite usable all the way open.. I'm sure you'll be quite pleased with this lens...

The flower type hood seems okay for landscape mode shooting.. Haven't had any lens flare issues that I've noticed... When I'm carrying multiple lenses with me, this is my primary walk-about lens...

Sweet sweet! My primary lens has been my 50 f/1.7 for a very long time due to the speed and dof limitations on my f/4, I'm hoping this lens will change that.

Thread Information