Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Help wanted please

my first post so hi everyone, I am moving up to a digital slr and i like the a300, a350 as i can get a good deal on these at moment as they are being replaced and i like the feel of these cameras, i do mostly portrait and glamour style photography and a lot using studio lights so i was wondering which would be best for me ? also i have seen a mount adapter to allow me to use my nikon lenses on the sony are the mount adapters any good and what are their limits of use ? thanks for any help

Re: Help wanted please

Those mount adapters would be for Nikons manual focus, not the AF. They are both essentially the same camera, but the 4 megapixel difference. Its just a matter of deciding which MPix you want, the 10 would be easier to deal with, easier to process, easier to work with. The 14 would give you improved resolution, but 10 certainly isn't lacking of resolution (the new 24mpix full frame sensors provide the same pixel density as the 10). You'd certainly see a major benefit with 14 for macro, but portraiture might benefit with 10, sometimes you don't want to see a persons pores and fine lines. What kind of studio lights? Continuous/strobe/bounce?

And welcome to the forums! I think you'll really like the community of photographers here, they've always been very helpful and informative for me.

thanks for the reply, i use strobes, i know i will need an adapter for my radio trigger but that shouldnt be a problem, the mount adapter said it was for af lenses thats what was confusing me, i might just get one and give it a try and as for the camera i think by the sound of it probably either will do what i want, so it may just come down to which i can get the best deal on

Quote Originally Posted by happy harry
    thanks for the reply, i use strobes, i know i will need an adapter for my radio trigger but that shouldnt be a problem, the mount adapter said it was for af lenses thats what was confusing me, i might just get one and give it a try and as for the camera i think by the sound of it probably either will do what i want, so it may just come down to which i can get the best deal on
    Well maybe there is some AF Nikon adapter, strange because I don't know how the AF screw would even line up and the back-focus distance, and aperture control would all work. I've never had experience with one of those, I'd find out how they've performed for other people first before getting one. Could you post a link to the product?

If you're using strobes you may want the A700 instead, for its PC Sync port.

looked at the a700 but if i'm stretching my budget to that level i would go for the nikon d90 & i dont want to spend that much, if i get the hot shoe adapter my radio trigger should work fine and it cuts out the hassle of the wires, cant figure how to post a link but its on e-bay as AF Confirm Nikon AI Lens To Minolta MA Sony A900 A350

That's 'AF Confirm' - means that the camera will confirm when you manually get focus (i.e. light up the focus point), not that it will auto-focus.

Most adapters to the Minolta/Sony A-mount (even from Minolta lenses) are not worth the trouble because they need a lens in the adapter. Either the adapter will cost hundreds of $ or the cheap glass will degrade the image.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

ok thanks, that makes sense, so leave the nikon lenses then, how do you find the a350 for people photography ?

I'm not a people person (macros and backyard wildlife), but I cannot imagine the A350 (or any modern DSLR) being a limiting factor. Some of the older Minolta lenses are outstanding. The A300/350 strong point is its Live View which I love. If you don't like LV, look for an A200 - may be even cheaper since Sony already quit selling them. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

yes the live view was one of the things that first got my attention with the sonys, the price of the a300 a350 are dropping as the kit stocks run out over here and the new models come out in about 2 weeks so dealers are starting to clear them out, so hopefully can pick up a real bargain

Hello Happy Harry and all

I look at the a300 and a350. I do not print super big prints, maybe a 11 x 14 so for the price I went with the a300. I love the live view, and all of my Minolta 5000i will work with the new camera. this is just my $.02. And I'm sure that OldClicker loves his a350..
    Chad
    User of the Sony alpha A300 DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by Toolman of NC
    Hello Happy Harry and all

I look at the a300 and a350. I do not print super big prints, maybe a 11 x 14 so for the price I went with the a300. I love the live view, and all of my Minolta 5000i will work with the new camera. this is just my $.02. And I'm sure that OldClicker loves his a350..
    Congratulations! Show us some photos. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Thread Information