Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Help needed: Flashgun for a700

I REALLY REALLY love my new Sony Alpha 700, but....I am missing the built-in flash that I have on my Minolta Dynax 800si....the most powerful handgun, oops sorry, built-in flash on a DSLR in the world...

I also have a Minolta 5400HS flashgun, but the guy in the shop told me I would only be able to use that manually on the a700, not TTL.

I've volunteered to be the photographer for UN-day celebrations at the International School here later this month, 24th, and there will a lot of dancing from all over the world to cover, and my experience with a700 so far tells me that I need a lot more than the built-in flash. Being mainly an outdoors sort of girl without much flash(ing) experience , I need TTL and I want to hear what you guys recommend *SS*

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Help needed: Flashgun for a700

Yeah the 5400 will fire, but manual mode only. Only the Minolta 3600HS (D) and 5600HS (D) will give you full ADI/TTL/wireless control. The Minolta 2500 (D) will also work but I don't think you'll find many of these out there.

Compatible Sony models are
    HVL-F36AM (Same as Minolta 3600HS (D))
    HVL-F42AM
    HVL-F56AM (Same as Minolta 5600HS (D))
    HVL-F58AM

I would personally suggest the 42, 56, or 58 models because the 36's don't swivel. There are also Metz and Sigma flashes that will work too. The Metz units are really good but a bit pricey I think. The Sigma's I heard often need to be sent in for calibration because of underexposure issues. That was a while ago, so they may have fixed the issue by now.

I personally own the HVL-F56AM and I love it.

Canuck, you are a hero. I can always count on you for fast, in-depth replies I am truly grateful, I really appreciate all your help!

I think I'll stick with Sony/Minolta. I've had mixed experiences with Sigma lenses where as my Minolta lenses have always been totally reliable, and I really don't want all the hassle of having to keep going back to the shop (even though the guy there is really cute :blush2: ). The 36 is definitely out, I want one that can swivel. I take it the 56 and 58 are somewhat better/more powerful than the 42? Seems that 58 is the newest - what's the main difference from the 56, in layman terms?

Mette

I'm always happy to help out wherever I can.

As for power, the higher the number the more powerful they are. The HVL-F58AM is the latest and greatest. It features an innovative "Quick Shift Bounce System" which allows faster and easier adjustment of flash angles and allows different angles than before. See it in action in the video below.

Huh, seems quite impressive! Can't really get more flexible than that...Nice to see a small girl (like me) handling it relatively easily, as it looks quite beefy - does the vertical grip help to stabilize? It almost looks the size of a TV camera with both the vertical grip and the flash attached!

I assume that it'll have some auto/"easy" function, so that I can get going quite quickly until I get more familiar with it?

Stupid question, but how close up can I use it? I know that I ideally need a ringflash (actually I do have one (NISSIN) but I lost the flash adapter for it somewhere between Borneo and Denmark, so now I only have the ring bit which doesn't do me much good). So far, I've managed not too badly with the built-in flash, but it does get problematic the closer I get, ie the longer the lens gets.

Lucky that today is payday

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Dragonfly
    Huh, seems quite impressive! Can't really get more flexible than that...Nice to see a small girl (like me) handling it relatively easily, as it looks quite beefy - does the vertical grip help to stabilize? It almost looks the size of a TV camera with both the vertical grip and the flash attached!
    Yeah it looks like quite a beast of a flash. I've never handled nor even seen one in person though. I would imagine it would be nice to have the vertical grip. Even with my HVL-F56AM I prefer using it with the vertical grip.

I assume that it'll have some auto/"easy" function, so that I can get going quite quickly until I get more familiar with it?
    You bet. All of the compatible flashes I mentioned are plug and play. Put it on the camera, turn flash and camera on, shoot away!

Stupid question, but how close up can I use it? I know that I ideally need a ringflash (actually I do have one (NISSIN) but I lost the flash adapter for it somewhere between Borneo and Denmark, so now I only have the ring bit which doesn't do me much good). So far, I've managed not too badly with the built-in flash, but it does get problematic the closer I get, ie the longer the lens gets.
    Well, I think all of the compatible flashes I listed tilt downwards 10 degrees. That should help some. Depending on the lens you are using you may get a shadow from the lens. Otherwise, all of these units can also operate as wireless units so you can take it off camera to place it where you please which will probably be a lot more useful.

Just checked out the weight, 440g - about the same as the camera - maybe I'll start getting arm muscles at last

Just checked out the price of a vertical grip - seems to be more expensive than the flash! I think flash first, vertical grip for Christmas!!! Though I might just try it out in the shop, may not like it at all anyway...the vertical grip that is.

Anyway, thank you so much, I shall head down to the camera shop tomorrow and see if they've got it in stock and not too much more expensive than online prices.

Mette

:cryin: :cryin: They are all sold out in Denmark at the moment. Hopefully at the end of next week....

:mad2: I want my new toy NOW!

Mette

Latest update is that the HVL-F58AM is coming to Sony, Denmark on the 15/16th Oct and my shop the next day, giving me only a week to practice...But it's ordered for me and I'm waiting excitedly! Thanks for all the advice Canuck

By the way, I was told that the 56 is being discontinued, so it might be possible to pick one up cheap if anybody out there is interested...

Mette

Excellent. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the HVL-F58AM. The F56 is old news compared to the 58, and thus it is discontinued. The 56 is still an excellent flash though. We'll see if it gets cheaper, as I would imagine it is still in good demand.

Big smiles My flash gun finally arrived this afternoon...giving me just tomorrow to practice major panick! But at least it got here! I was getting severely worried about having to photograph in gyms, class rooms and a church, with the puny built-in flash. Any idea on how many shots roughly one set of batteries is going to last me?

But so far, the flash seems really nice Not a lightweighter though - I think I need to consider a vertical grip for added stability, or alternatively doing some more work out for my arm muscles

Thanks again Canuck for all your excellent advice

Mette

Wow that really cut it close, glad you got it on time! Battery life really depends on the shooting conditions, just make sure you have spare batteries. Be sure to let us know how you like the flash!

I use my ears as a battery life indicator, that high pitched whine should go really fast if the batteries are full, but it slows down when the batteries start to run low.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Ever Learning Make_Mine_Minolta's Avatar

Any one out here using a MAX7D w/ a 3600HD (D) flash???
    I need to know just how much of a clip and shot flash they are... Also when clipped in and turned on should the green auto lite be lit? Does it set the camera to an auto mode or do you have to set-up settings in the camera?
    Lens Cap:mad2:

Quote Originally Posted by Make_Mine_Minolta
    Any one out here using a MAX7D w/ a 3600HD (D) flash???
    I need to know just how much of a clip and shot flash they are... Also when clipped in and turned on should the green auto lite be lit? Does it set the camera to an auto mode or do you have to set-up settings in the camera?

Hi there. On Maxxum 7D it should be "plug and play" essentially. I can't tell you about the auto light since I've never actually used a 3600, but when you attach the flash it should default to whatever flash mode you have the camera set to (i.e. Fill, Wireless, etc). It won't put the camera into an auto mode. You won't have to calculate flash exposure, as this will be done via TTL/ADI metering with a preflash, but you may have to set flash compensation for certain situations. You can also manually set the flash power if you want, but I don't know if the 3600 allows you to do that.

Thread Information