Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Question Has the real cost of DSLR photography been a rude awakening?

One of the "natural” surprises to most people when they buy their first DSLR camera has been the true price of the “next” lens. Yes, DSLR Photography is entering a realm where you hold the “key” in your hand and the many doors to image opportunities abound.

Even though the “key” can open these doors of opportunity, there is also a substantial price of admission.

On average, your next lens will price around $400 to $500. It will probably be a 17-50mm f/2.8 or even a 28-75mm f/2.8 lens, which is a superior upgrade and logical replacement :thumbsup: to that low-grade lens they included in your DSLR’s box, when you bought the “kit” version of your DSLR. This improved lens will do well, indoors and offer excellent results.

If you opt for a telephoto lens, 70-300mm f/4-5.6, the one made by TAMRON can be had for a mere $160-$180. It should do a lot of the leg work, but try to remember it is truly an OUTDOOR lens. It will not be of much use, indoors or at the hockey rink. Oh, it has the reach, but alas … no light.

Basically, the telephoto for INDOOR use is the 70-200mm f/2.8. TAMRON has this for around $700 and it is the lowest priced version of this lens you will find and it has superior image quality to rival lenses twice its price.

Now that you are aware of the opportunity admission prices, prepare for what awaits. Get your checkbook ready and seek out your “next “ lens. Then begin to enjoy the turn of the “key”, as the DLSR turns mere light … into forever.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-26-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Has the real cost of DSLR photography been a rude awakening?

I don't see why you single out Dslr, it's the same with film SLRs.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Well, I was appealing to the "new" members, many of whom are only vaguely familiar with the nuances of the 35mm-film SLR. Oh, I suppose they could probably get out their parent's camera case and take a stroll trough history, but in the here and now ... the demand for film-photography has been reduced. Heck, just ask about recent Kodak film sales. :yikes:
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-26-2009 at 01:52 PM.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Where I really noticed the cost was in computer and software upgrades. When I first got my DRebel I had to shoot in JPEG because my old PC running Win98 didn't have enough power to handle RAW files. Photoshop 5 wasn't cutting it either. A new laptop plus extra RAM, a new desktop PC, 3 external HD's, hundreds of DVD's and CD's, upgrades to Photoshop CS2,3 & 4.

Yes I have spent thousands of dollars on lenses in the past few years, but those will last me a lifetime if I don't switch systems and if Canon doesn't redesign their mount. The computers and software on the other hand will need to be upgraded long before my lenses will.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Amen to that ... the key is: KEEP IT SIMPLE.
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

Thread Information