Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

First post- Hello, and a few Q's about my new A-550

Hi forum.

I'm not an artistic photographer, but my work involves me taking photos. For my purposes, a compact digital cam has been more than adequate. I have had a few, but my favourite - for reasons I'll explain in a minute - is my current companion, a trusty old (5.0 MP) Kodak VS570,

I received a very nice Christmas present this year - a Sony A-550 DSLR with a zoom lens kit. This present came completely out of left-field. Obviously I'm grateful that someone would give me something like this, but I had not asked for a DSLR, and probably would never have bought one on my own. I used to enjoy taking photos for fun, but it's been years since I have. I think this camera was given to me to inspire me to take up the hobby again. And I would like to do that. We'll see. I just don't know if this camera will suit my needs.

I don't want to offend the gift-giver, so perhaps you can help me.

I am a location scout for tv/film productions. In my work, I find I regularly use a wide lens, panorama stitching, and basic video. That's why I like the Kodak. It has its limitations, of course, but it has a built-in wide angle lens, and does really good pan-stitching. It also shoots functional quality MPEG video. I work on the road, so I tend to upload my pics to my laptop and email them to my office. One distinct advantage to a compact is its size in this environment. Any DSLR is going to be big, and I really don't want to carry two cameras around on the job. But, if I can't find a way to make my DSLR work for me on the job, it'll just gather dust at home (I know it!).

Although my Kodak doesn't have a time-lapse setting, that is something I would really like to have in at least one camera. I used to do lots of recreational photography in time-lapse, and I really enjoy the results.

Obviously the A-550 doesn't offer video. I can get around that if I have to.

The Sony came with a software disc, but I haven't opened it because I may return the camera for a different model/brand. Can anyone tell me, does the disc have software which will enable the A-550 to shoot time-lapse or panorama?

If not, are there third-party software sources for either of those functions?

If not, what comparable camera models should I look at? In a perfect world, I would like a DSLR with time-lapse, video, and panorama stitching, or at least one of those features. The A-550 has 14.2 MP technology, but I think I could be content with a camera with a 10-12 MP chip, if it had the features I want.

Lastly, since the Sony DSLR has a remote trigger, is there a third party device with internal time lapse, which could work with it? I was surprised to see, while reviewing the Sony accessories catalogue, that they don't offer any sort of hardware module or attachment for time lapse or motion control.

Back in film days, I used a Canon T-70 35mm SLR which was a work-horse (it also had the optional "Data-Back" which allowed for time-lapse settings, date stamping, etc), Before that I had a 60s-era Pentax-Asahi which was seemingly indestructable (until I broke it!). I have no real brand loyaly, so consider me an uncarved block. I welcome your measured responses.

Thanks!

Re: First post- Hello, and a few Q's about my new A-550

Welcome to the forums, its a good crowd here, you picked the right place.
    It has its limitations, of course, but it has a built-in wide angle lens, and does really good pan-stitching.
    There are plenty of wide angle lens available starting at 10mm wide (15mm equivalent on A550), comparatively speaking your Kodak gave you a 23mm wide angle equivalent. You can certainly use software to stitch any photo's together, I've stitched a few myself, though it won't do it in camera.
    is there a third party device with internal time lapse,
    I've never seen one, but I've never looked. I've seen a huge listing of various different third party triggers that work with Sony (though shutter release, not IR). I have a shutter release cable that I got on EBay, at first they sent me a Nikon one - then they sent me the right one - same thing, just a different plug at the tip. Point being, its not something that would be exclusive to brand.

The included software has a photo editor, but I'm not familiar with it as I use photoshop. From what little of it I used, I was impressed by the precise control the program had over the image - though, it couldn't replace photoshop for me. I use photoshop for photostitching - which consists of slight resizing and distortion correction, then increase canvas size and layer copy it clean, clone out any goofy spots. Anyway - there are much easier and more user friendly ways of doing it too if you don't want to get that technical.

If not, what comparable camera models should I look at? In a perfect world, I would like a DSLR with time-lapse, video, and panorama stitching, or at least one of those features. The A-550 has 14.2 MP technology, but I think I could be content with a camera with a 10-12 MP chip, if it had the features I want.
    No other DSLR has a built in photo-stitching feature, or a built in time lapse feature. The A550 is a terrific camera with excellent IQ, it has a '16:9' panorama mode, but that just crops the top and bottom. With the huge amounts more detail you would be able to capture with the A550 as opposed to your kodak, I bet you'll feel significantly less limited. The stitching will be more difficult, but the end result will be much better. I remembered the nice thing about that Kodak with stitching is it holds up a block of the previous picture on the screen - so you can easily line up without a need for a tripod or the sorts. With a DSLR, I'd strongly recommend using a tripod for your stitching projects.

Nice gift! Sounds to me like a good wide angle lens to go with it is in order. Do you want it at least as wide as your Kodak: which would be starting at 16mm, or wider like a 10-24mm lens? Or, would the supplied 18-55mm be sufficient (which gives a 27mm equivalent starting angle, 4mm more telephoto than your Kodak)

Thread Information