Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

extension tubes question

Does Kenko make good tubes? I have the 70-210 f4, it technically does macro but at a 1:5 magnification and only at 210 - one of those 'barely a macro' macros. So, rather then spending the extra money to essentially get something I already have in another lens, just bringing a little closer, should I get extension tubes? So long as the AF remains in tact, there are no other problems?

Here is the link to the one I am looking at, but I am open to other ones that are better of course... - link

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: extension tubes question

I have a set of Kenko tubes for my Canon EF mount gear and I love them. The AF is retained when I use them, but I usually turn it off and focus manually. You will want to do the same. When you're shooting macros your DOF gets pretty shallow, and manually focusing gives you a lot more control over what parts of the image are in sharp focus.

The link you posted is for a single tube. Do they sell them in a set for your system? I got a set of 3 for mine, and I love the versatility it gives me. Many times I will stack all 3 together to get real close.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the input! What magnification would you say that your tubes bring you to? Also - would it cripple my infinite+ focal distance? If I'm shooting distant objects, would I need to take my tubes off?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

would it cripple my infinite+ focal distance?
    Exactly. Because it moves the lens further forward, you can't focus to infinity.
    If you still want to focus to infinity - buy a macro lens, that does both.
    If you just want to shoot macro - buy extension tubes.

If you can, buy a complete set, not just one tube.
    Different lenses will give you different results.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information