Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Effect of Konica Minolta's leave on KM camera owners?

How would Konica Minolta's leaving of the camera industry affect KM cameras' owners?

1. Will other lens manufacturers like Sigma continue to manufacture lenses for KM bodies?

2. How do you get KM cameras and lenses serviced in the future?

3. Is it going to affect the resale value and demand of KM cameras and lenses in the future?

I'm interested at buying the 5D or 7D but don't know if it's a good idea.

Re: Effect of Konica Minolta's leave on KM camera owners?

I'm not a KM owner, but it's really just a guess for anyone at this point. Personally, I wouldn't get into that system not knowing what the future holds, but if I already had a KM system I'd just sit tight and shoot what I had. Resale values are probably taking a beating right now but if someone else continues with that lens mount then it might come back up.

Quote Originally Posted by C. G.
    How would Konica Minolta's leaving of the camera industry affect KM cameras' owners?

1. Will other lens manufacturers like Sigma continue to manufacture lenses for KM bodies?

2. How do you get KM cameras and lenses serviced in the future?

3. Is it going to affect the resale value and demand of KM cameras and lenses in the future?

I'm interested at buying the 5D or 7D but don't know if it's a good idea.
    Actually lens prices have gone up in some areas and down in others. Complicating things further is that large camera dealers have quite a quantity of used equipment in good condition.

KM cameras will not be a problem for getting serviced. I even had an older one repaired in a small town in Mexico, in a couple of hours. I have never, ever needed service on a KM lens. You will also still be able to find used KM lenses and new ones in out of the way, stores and locations.

Resale value may be affected but then some cameras become collector's items and increase in value. It is somewhat irrelevant anyway in that if you get considerable use out of it, then it payed for itself....and will be obsolete at some point, no matter what.

Ronnoco

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I'm going to be holding on to my X-7A for a long time.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

1. Sony is using the lens mount, so lenses will be available. (with sony's relationship with Zeiss, there may be something there) Regardless, they will fit. Some Tamron lenses already say Minolta/Sony on the box.

2. Sony will take over service on KM products April 1 (not a fool's joke) It's in the press release.

3. Demand is higher than before and lens prices have in the least doubled (on the second hand market). As for resale, many current owners are waiting for people to dump their 5D/7Ds so they can buy second hand units as backups.

They ARE great systems, and Sony will be using KM r&d. I already had lenses, so it made alot of sense for me to get the 5D. However, even if Sony flops with the body, lenses made by third parties will not be affected, also there will be used lenses available. I got mine 2 weeks ago, and am not scared. Certainly I am not regretting it.

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    1. Sony is using the lens mount, so lenses will be available. (with sony's relationship with Zeiss, there may be something there) Regardless, they will fit. Some Tamron lenses already say Minolta/Sony on the box.

2. Sony will take over service on KM products April 1 (not a fool's joke) It's in the press release.

3. Demand is higher than before and lens prices have in the least doubled (on the second hand market). As for resale, many current owners are waiting for people to dump their 5D/7Ds so they can buy second hand units as backups.

They ARE great systems, and Sony will be using KM r&d. I already had lenses, so it made alot of sense for me to get the 5D. However, even if Sony flops with the body, lenses made by third parties will not be affected, also there will be used lenses available. I got mine 2 weeks ago, and am not scared. Certainly I am not regretting it.
    from what i hear, zeiss wont do anything with sony on SLR optics, which is why sony hasnt gone into SLR yet. from what i hear, they will be creating new optics with minolta technology and glass quality, which is certainly refreshing.

not seeing that demand on my side, a bit with some of the new lens - tamron's are actually going above msrp :O... but still, not finding the quantity i had been finding and the used shop down the street has has the same 2 lens for a WHILE! which is precisely how i'll talk them down ;)...

I have two Maxxum 9000 bodies, with motor drives and battery packs, one bought new, the other used.

They aren't worth a fraction of what I paid.

I'd be happy to get a couple hundred dollars for them.

Also have a Sigma 400 5.6 and a 70-210 APO zoom, along with numerous lenses and two AF 4000 flash units.

Some digital shooters are still using film backups. I would think it would be hard to get a couple hundred for any body that old, especially in these times, when so many are trying to go digital. Your lenses should do well on ebay though.

Thread Information