Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

DSC-H5. Is there a motor running?

Hi there.
    I'm having problems with my DSC-H5 and battery life.
    I've read in another thread, that there's a bug in the battery indicator, but it is not just that.
    Today I managed 7 pictures on fully charged batteries (brand new), then the camera shut down. Just got it back from repair (6 weeks), but things are worser now.

When I turn the camera on (the lens cap on) you can actually hear something "running" in the the camera. To me it sounds like a motor; you don't even have to put the camera to your ear to hear it. In a quiet environment you can hear the sound 2 feet away.

Is that normal for a DSC-H5?
    I've listened to many other cameras after discovering the sound, but no one sounds like they have a motor running inside. They're all dead quiet.

Hope someone can help me out.

Regards

peggysue

Re: DSC-H5. Is there a motor running?

its normal to here a bit of sound when the lens is being adjusted ie camera first booting up/shutting down or when zooming. but its fairly minor, about 2 feet away in a silent room I can still hear it but barely. If your hear the motor when its idle thats not normal and I would take it back for repair, and if not under warranty make sure they do it for free this time.

For the battery indicator issue I do have problems with the indicator when using energizer batteries but no problems with the Duracell or sony ones that came with the camera its fairly accurate when they are low.

if haven't done so I would test the batteries in other devices as well along with other batteries if you have them. possible its the batteries them self or charger, more then likely the camera but good to check and can let them know you have will help on the repair/exchange.

also NIMH will loose charge over time, a new set should last a few weeks. I know some of my older ones will loose its charge within 2-3 days but still good if use them after a fresh charge

I have tried a few different types with my H5 and I found the Duracell NIMH 2650mah to be the best.. 2 pairs will usually do me a 12 hour day in the field and I like to leave the lcd on often.

I bought some bargain AA's from Bass Pro Shops one time. Regular AA's would run my GPS for about 25 hours, the bass pros lasted no more than 30 minutes. Batteries are worth a look.

Alkaline AA batteries might last two dozen photos. NIMH rechargables should last 200 photos. Alkalines just don't have the power to keep up with a high draw camera. Try fully charged, new NIMH rechargable batteries. I second the suggestion on the Duracell 2650 mAh batteries, for 14$ you can't go wrong.

Also, there IS indeed a motor running in the DSC-h5, it is the gyroscope that makes up the image stabilization. Turn steady-shot to OFF and see if that quiets the camera down.

happy shooting!
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Hi again.
    Thanks to you all for replying.
    I did turn steady-shot to OFF. The sound is still there.
    Just got the camera back from repair.It seems that all H5 has that motorlike noise.
    Processor noise they call it.
    I'm not quite sure if I believe him.

i have a new sony h5 camera and it takes great pictures,the nimh batteries last for a good couple of hundred pictures,i carry three sets of batteries just in case,the flash will eat them up fast,as for motor noise,its funny when the camera is off and i'm carrying the camera one handed off to the side,i feel the camera vibrating as if the internal mechanisms are still running,on numerous occasions as well,is this a normal feeling with others ?.

I'm using a H5, about 2 yrs old. I got out a stethoscope; couldn't hear anything running, even w Steady-Shot on. If there is anything running loud enough to hear from a few feet, it's broke. "Processor noise" is horse feathers!

But if a focus motor or somesuch is stuck, I suspect that's why your batteries don't last.
    I use Energizer e lithium, and they last a cople of weeks, maybe 4 - 5 hundred shots.
    Couldn't go more than a cople hours on rechargables, so I quit trying.

Steve

Polarbeardiggers:

I started with cameras in 1955, so you can imagine, I'm not young.
    I can feel that sensation holding a cup of coffee. Makes holding my sweetie's hand more interesting.

But if the camers is really off, and vibrating, something is wrong.
    On the other hand, if it is on and the lens cap is off, the autofocus will run almost constantly unless you hold it very still... Chews up batteries also.

well i'm not going to drive this topic to the ground, but last summer while walking down the path with the camera off,holding it in my hand swinging with my stride, every once in awhile i felt the camera vibrate like some internal mechanisms where still working. But then you ask ,was the camera still on ?, i could swear it was off,because it did it in numerous occasions that day, forgetful once,but not thrice, but again i'm 45 now, perhaps it was a horrible dream.
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

I am having the same "MOTOR RUNNING" sound with my Sony DSC-H5. I have had it for about 4 years, and have used it constantly, taking thousands of pictures. Recently, the battery life is really poor and drains the batteries rather quickly - only about 20 mins of shooting time. If you hold the camera up to your ear you can hear a sound that is similar to a motor running. It does not seem to be normal.

I took it to B&H in New York, where I bought it, and the person at the sales desk said that the camera was probably shot!! He suggested I take it to a repair shop, but did not sound too optimistic. I got new rechargeable batteries but they did not not remedy the problem.

Crazy!!!!! I mean a $400 camera shot after only 4 years of use!!!!!! Is that normal? AHHHHH!!!!!

Anyone have any thoughts about trying a home repair?? Or suggestions for a new camera?

Thread Information