Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: dsc-h5 autofocus problem

We purchased the H5 just before Christmas of 2006. This camera does a super job when it works right, in my amateur opinion. We especially love the large screen; that, and the Sony name, is why we purchased this particular camera. Two weeks ago, we noticed the focus issue, and next thing we know, the button pops off; the camera had worked fine until then. I purchased the camera from B&H Photo online, and did not purchase an extended warranty. I carried the camera to our local photo shop, and got the old flat rate $181 cost plus shipping to fix spiel, but I decided that was too much to dump into this camera and felt there had to be an easy fix for this. After searching several different forums and finding that, indeed, there seems to be a universal problem with the "Release Assembly" on the H series cameras, I bit the bullet and ordered the X21083262 RELEASE ASSY (420) from Sony http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/productSearch.do
    I just went ahead and bought 3 of the darn things, cheaper than buying a new camera ($76 delivered), plus we like the camera and will just pop a new one on when the next one breaks. It is an easy fix, just slide a thin screwdriver or knife blade at the base of the silver ring at the button and gently pry upward, it will snap right off, and the replacement snaps right back on. (See http://thelope.com/2007/03/sony-dsc-h2-problems.html) I do think it is awful that Sony has not acknowledged the problem, and when my 3 buttons are gone, so is my loyalty to Sony. Hope this helps others out there with similar problems.

it really make you think twice about buying a sony item,you would think we all should get a big loyalty coupon for buying sony and not those stupid ones you get online,one that comes in the mail you can take to sony stores of your choosing, my first black sony h5,would not engage the flash,i returned it for a silver h5,and its worked fine at over 4000 + actuations, and no problems as of yet, but my recent purchase of the sony h3 black,it too will not pop up the flash,sure warrantee is free,but everything else works fine,do i really want to wait 3 to 4 weeks for it to come back when i can just pop it up with my finger, the idea of lab techs taking it apart then putting it back together just for me to get it back and have something else not working, i remember the old 35 mm camera when you had to manually pop up the flash,so for now i will just grin and bare with it,i love both my camera's and the picture quality is just great, but the idea of buying another new sony camera in the future is less than 10 percent, they really need to start working on quality workmanship instead of cheap mass production.
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

Bought a H5 in april 2004 and it was gone for 6 weeks once for repair (they replaced the trigger button) and is now gone again for same period for same.
    Was told if it happens a 3rd time I get a new camera, but I hate the long service periods.
    With the now dropping prices for SLR wish they give me a voucher and I can buy me a Sony-alpha or canon EOS 400D

I've found a way to repair my broken H5

first step:

remove the ring that holds the shutter button. rotate anti-clockwise and should pop up freely. may require some sort of persuasion/strong grip

next,

you should see the conductive black membrane with a small pit in the middle where the pin of the shutter button pushes

apply one drop of isopropyl alcohol onto the black membrane, wait 30 sec, apply one more. repeat 2-3 times. it should remove some of the tension/dent from the membrane. gently push the membrane with a non-piercing tool to confirm focus. if so, go to next step

make yourself a small disc of thin but durable plastic, to fit freely on top of the membrane, so the pressure of the pin be spread onto a larger surface. apply a double-sticky scotch tape onto the plastic disc and secure it to the membrane. check again if focus is working.

put all back together. enjoy.

notes: do NOT use acetone as it will destroy the plastics inside

do not use superglue or else to secure the plastic disc

use small amounts of isopropyl , do not spill inside casing

regards,
    DeeJay

PS. please excuse some grammar error, english isn't my native tongue.

I will chime in here as well. I purchased my H5 in December 2006. The auto-focus button problem just now showed it's ugly head (July 2008). Of course it is way past warranty. I too spoke with Sony support today and got to a second level but no further. They refuse to acknowledge that this is a known problem in any way and want $171 for a flat rate repair. I'll give the tech support roulette wheel another try but don't have high hopes. I'm considering opening it up as others here have done - worst case I have to pay anyhow. I love this camera but am quickly souring on Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by deejay

first step:

remove the ring that holds the shutter button. rotate anti-clockwise and should pop up freely. may require some sort of persuasion/strong grip

next,

you should see the conductive black membrane with a small pit in the middle where the pin of the shutter button pushes

apply one drop of isopropyl alcohol onto the black membrane, wait 30 sec, apply one more. repeat 2-3 times. it should remove some of the tension/dent from the membrane. gently push the membrane with a non-piercing tool to confirm focus. if so, go to next step

make yourself a small disc of thin but durable plastic, to fit freely on top of the membrane, so the pressure of the pin be spread onto a larger surface. apply a double-sticky scotch tape onto the plastic disc and secure it to the membrane. check again if focus is working.

regards,
    DeeJay

Sounds like good advice. I've gone ahead and ordered a few parts from tigerdirect. I'm concerned that I'll get in there and find something broken (or break something on the way in!). Just as likely that your solution will be the one too. Thanks.

I had the same problem with my DSC-H5. The autofocus stopped working. I bought a shutter assembly but the one in the camera looked OK to me. As mentioned by someone else in this blog or another, I noticed a dimple in the membrane that gets pushed by the shutter's tiny shaft. I'm guessing this membrane is part of the CONTROL SWITCH BLOCK, Part # 147969921 ($62.91). Does anyone know how to replace this part or can point me in the right direction?

Hope you hear from someone as I appear to be in the same boat - Once i received the button and the other parts just below it I got brave an popped my button off. What I found was even manually pressing on that membrane (in my case) didn't give any different results than with the camera assembled. I'm hesitant to spend another $60+ on another " maybe". I'll reluctantly be sending it off to Sony soon

I posted on here about our problems with the H5 shutter problem over a year ago. Seems as if it has come back again. Won't focus when you push the shutter down half way. I do have the 4 year warranty through Best Buy, so I guess I'll be bringing it back for them to repair, or send to Sony. Just frustrating because my wife and I both like the camera. We've gotten many compliments on the pictures from the camera. It takes better pictures than some of our friends more expensive DSLR's.

Hi!
    I have a Sony H5B, and i have run into the same issue. Wont focus on half press. After reading the thread i need some detailed information.

I talked to the sony support rep, and yes it would cost me $171 flat rate. So i am going to try the self repair option. The part no the tech guy gave me was X21083262 which is a release assembly, costs $23+shippping. Just want to know if this is the right part?

Also could someone give detailed instructions on how to go about replacing it. I love my camera and i do not want to ruin it

Quote Originally Posted by deejay

first step:

next,

regards,
    DeeJay

Thank you DeeJay!
    Hope it will work!

Photographer

Cool Re: dsc-h5 autofocus problem

Quote Originally Posted by hermanito14
    Bought a H5 in april 2004 and it was gone for 6 weeks once for repair (they replaced the trigger button) and is now gone again for same period for same.
    Was told if it happens a 3rd time I get a new camera, but I hate the long service periods.
    With the now dropping prices for SLR wish they give me a voucher and I can buy me a Sony-alpha or canon EOS 400D
    Hermanito- You SAY you bought your H5 in April, 2004?

No Way! I pre-ordered my H5 in June, 2006- didn't ship until late July, 06. Maybe you bought an H1? Or Never even owned a Sony DSC any??

I just want to say that I own both the DSC H2 and H5 and Have Never had a Problem with Either. They account for maybe 5000 shots (H5) and 2000 H2). My Wife and College student, stay at home son enjoy their simplicity and Great Captures.

My "Main Man" is now Sony's Great alpha 700- can't say enough about it.

But the Sony SuperZooms will stay in the family; I carry 1 or the other as a back-up or light duty shooter.

I'll add that I was quite late in joining the Digital Crowd, but have REALly made up for it. Up until 3 years ago, when the H2 arrived, I carried 1 of a pair of Maxxum 9xi's- which I yet own. Now those are 2 of the best AF, Smart SLRs ever made.

Angry Re: dsc-h5 autofocus problem

After reading numerous posts regarding the autofocus button problem I can tell you what likely will happen, your shutter button will eventually fail. Our shutter button (correct terminology from manual) broke on vacation last week (5/27/2009). Calling Sony, they quote a flat rate charge of $171.00 for repair (as stated by others in this forum thread). I argued the representative (located in India) AND the supervisor (also in India) and received the script that this is the only option etc. etc.. I inquired whether this is a known problem and they stated emphatically "no". I argued to send in my camera, have them diagnose the problem and quote me a repair estimate, NO WAY.
    I located a number of digital camera repair services on the web (many give direct quotes with a description of the problem). They ranged from $115 to $50 for repairing the shutter button. The part actually costs about $19.00. Sony is a ripoff company that does not stand behind their product. Additionally, in talking with a number of the repair service companies, all I had to do is mention that I have a DSCH5 and they immediately stated "button problem". This seems as though this is a major problem with the Sony camera, and why these idiots won't admit it is beyond me.
    I have a co-worker who had a problem with a 3 year old Cannon product which costs $100 less than mine 3 years out of warranty and Cannon gave her a new camera. Bye bye to Sony, I'll never get another.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information