Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Digital Lens for Film Camera

Hello All,

I am gathering info on setup for producing film images no smaller than 24 inches X 36 inches. I am going to use my old Minolta Maxxum 5 film camera but am thinking that the original 28 - 70 kit lens may not cut it. I am going to start out doing landscapes like cliffs, old barns, water etc. I'm using Kodak Ektra 100 color negative film.

My Question:

1)
    A) Can I buy a newer more expensive digital wide angle lens to mount on my Maxxum 5?
    B) Or, should I look for an older "film" lens on eBay or somewhere similar? If so, which one(s)?

I'm envisioning an end result of a silky smooth, glassy 24 + 36 image. Also, I'm presently restricted to 35 millimeter format.

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Digital Lens for Film Camera

Well, a digital only lens (such as the KM/Sony "DT" series) will give you a reduced image circle. You'll get severe vignetting on the wider end but may be able to get full frame coverage on the longer end.

I would suggest you stick to lenses that fill the full frame. If you want wide angle and the ultimate in quality the Zeiss 16-35 f/2.8 is top dog, but at a cost of US $1900. There are also many other options in the used market, and some lenses are still available new. Please let us know what focal length range you are interested in and we can better help you.

Also, check out the dyxum alpha lens database to research your options.

Just a thought, why not try the kit lens? It won't cost much to shoot a roll of film, then have 2 or three of the best negatives enlarged to your desired print size.

I have never enlarged to more than 16X20, but it sounds interesting. You will probably have to use the negative in an enlarger to get the quality you want. Make sure you find a good lab.

Let us know how it works out.

Phil

I think I will try out my kit lens. However, I have noticed a defined black speck in the right upper quadrant of the lens which I'm going to have to fix, first. If that area of the image is sky or some other solid light background, that speck will cause trouble.

Thinking about the photos that you want to take, I would look into the Minolta 50mm AF prime, and/or something like a 28-90/105 range. If you can walk around your subject, the 50mm might be the best. I shoot around marshes a lot so I like a zoom to frame my shots. I get good results with my Sigma 28-90mm which has a semi macro function. I do use the 50mm quite a bit, but tend to put the zoom on first.

I will be out at the marshes near Galveston Texas Saturday morning, I will try to do some shots, one scene, various focal lengths to give some comparisons.

Phil

Some good suggestions out there. Many of the better "old" film lenses are definitely up to the task, as they've been recently used and tested with the Sony a900 at 24mp showing good detail, etc...

You mention your "kit" lens as 28-70, was this a "G" lens, or other? I'm familiar with the 28-75mm f2.8 lens that was used for some kits I think.. It's above average, so it's not a bad option either. The cheaper 28-80 lenses don't fair to well, with the exception of the "XI" version being "ok"...

There are some other lenses that aren't bad... The Minolta 28-135mm is a great older lens that holds up to the better new lenses out there now. Great bang for the buck with a larger range than most non super-zooms. Heavy, very well made... Lotta glass... The Minolta 28-70mm "G" isn't a bad option either, especially if you stop it down a little like you would for most landscape use anyway...

For a newer lens, the CZ lenses made for Sony are the top of the line. The 16-35mm lens mentioned is good for the wide/super wide end, but the 24-70mm is a really nice mid-length lens with exceptional quality throughout it's range... The drawback is that these CZ's are not cheap. However, they do offer some of, if not the highest quality in this range for the A-Mount and any other mount... Truly great glass that will hold it's value...

Good luck with your project!

Mike,

I am curious how you project is going. I am interested to see how it goes. Let us all know.

Phil

Thread Information