Where to begin... I had this great post all figured out, showing how different lenses really have different personalities, affecting white balance, color saturation, etc... Then I figured out what my real problem was... C-PL... Used a filter for one, but not the other...

Anyway, a few shots of volleyball with two very different lenses.. I'm sure you'll figure out which one had the C-PL on it... Sky and sand show the biggest differences... And oh what a difference... I'll leave in all my amusing thoughts on the differences before I remembered the filter factor...

From original post:

I was shooting craw+jpeg, so I could at least have the option to do some corrections later. However, I really had no intention of messing around with the raws if it wasn't absolutely necessary.. .So, I jacked up the jpeg settings to Vivid, +1 saturation and +2 sharpness... Oh, and had some DRO going here and there... Have to check, but it was either DRO+, DRO+2 or +3... Was messing with it a bit...

Primary lens I was shooting with was the Minolta 80-200mm HS f2.8. Love this thing... The secondary lens that is not ideal for this type of shooting, but one that I needed to use for a couple shots to get a better field of view for the tournament organizer, KM 28-70mm f2.8..

The main difference with the shots from the KM lens was the color saturation and white balance. Yes, I blew it by not going with a fixed WB setting for daylight.. Rookie move #1..... I just didn't think I'd see such a consistent shift there when I switched lenses.. Where the 80-200mm emphasizes basic contrast and sharpness, the KM seemed to deepen the colors... Combine that with the Vivid and + settings I had been using for the other lens, and it was just a bit too much...

Samples are from camera jpegs, downsized only.

M. 80-200mm

KM 28-70mm

M. 80-200mm

KM 28-70mm

Hope this was a little entertaining at least... Too much thinking after the shoot, not enough before/during....

Anyway, I'll post up some more interesting shots from the day over on the sports forum...