Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Cybershot w 170

Question Cybershot w 170

I bought this point and shoot as a light weight snapshot camera for family events etc. when I don't want to carry my Nikon D70. One of the features I find missing is the freeze action that you normally find on these cameras. I can't seem to find any reference to it in the manual or menu and there are know obvious buttons. Does anyone know if Sony simply decided this isn't needed or is there a workaround. I also don't easily find a shutterspeed control. I may have boutht he wrong camera as I like to take action pictures of nieces and nephews. Thanks.

Re: Cybershot w 170

You mean a 'sports' mode? Well, the ^ISO mode could be used for fast action shots. Did you mean something else by freeze?

You picked a great camera but it also has a great handicap, no Aperture or shutter priority modes, and no manual mode. These little point and shoots don't really benefit as greatly from the manual modes as an SLR would. Anyway, if you don't mind that, then I'd say you got the right camera!

Yes, I meant sports mode. It doesn't exist right? Curious, as most of these point and shoots have that feature. I will try ISO but I'm not sure how that will take the place of a shutter speed. More light maybe, but still a blur. Thanks for your response.

Well, 'sports' just aims for faster shutter speeds by lowering f-stops and using higher ISO's, ^ISO mode is more exclusively ISO, but the aperture range on that particular lens makes the f-stops a lower priority than ISO, its got its pros and con's to a specific 'sports' mode. You may want to see if that ^ISO mode allows you to dictate the ISO automation range, be it 400-800/800-1600/400-1600. ^ISO mode actually is a good one for sports. Night scene mode will also aim for lower f-stops and higher ISO, don't know if that particular one utilizes a specific white balance automation, I'd give the 'night scene' mode a try in some of your sports shooting situations.

But please believe me when I say, the real downside to this camera is the lack of manual modes, aperture and shutter priority (and it is a pretty big downside for many of us). I would not be concerned by the lack of sports mode.

Here is a link to a proffesionals review of the cameras function and performance. His attention to details within the function of the camera is very critical and fundamental, he is pickier than I am in many ways and I consider myself to be an excessively picky guy. I really think you picked a good solid camera.

Thread Information