Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Unhappy Broken flash on Sony CShot DSC-S500

Hi there, new person, first post, I hope someone can help me

I am gutted, the flash appears to be broken on my almost brand-new Cybershot... it still takes pictures, but the flash fails to engage every time, which is obviously rendering the camera close to useless in most situations. Close inspection has turned up what looks like a small crack on the tube inside the flash. Is this a fairly common problem and is it easily and inexpensively fixed, or am I looking at a repair that will cost me more than the camera itself did? I recently moved countries and getting hold of the warrenty is going to be a mission and a half...

Any info would be great, thank you!

Re: Broken flash on Sony CShot DSC-S500

Steph-
    This doesn't sound common - at least I've never heard of it before. And I would bet good money that paying for the repair would cost enough that you might be better off buying a new camera. So I would do my best to find that warranty paperwork. It will be worth the effort.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Broken flash on Sony CShot DSC-S500

Sony charges $171 for the repair (some kind of flat rate deal). The camera itself costs $150. If you purchased the item with credit, debit, or check, your bank may be able to help you retrieve something stating the date of purchase. You could then prove it's under warranty. Otherwise, if you can't get proof, I hate to say it, but you may be better off getting a new camera.

Thread Information