Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Exclamation Black Screen Problem Sony Cybershot DSC-T1

Please help me. I own a Sony Cybershot DSC-T1 and whenever I try to turn it on or switch to video or picture capture mode the whole screen is just black and when I try to take a picture it comes out black. Is there a way to fix this?

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Black Screen Problem Sony Cybershot DSC-T1

I don't have any personal experience with these problems, but from what I've read from other user experiences this type of problem usually requires the camera to be serviced by the manufacturer. See if you can have it repaired under warranty (if it is still valid). Sorry I can't help you more. Did you try using different cards and removing the batteries?

I am having the same trouble. It just showed up in the last month. I'm looking forward to any solutions short of sending it in for repair. I expect the cost and hastle isn't worth it.
    Jim

Tee

Have had a Sony DSC-N2 for 13 months(1year manufacturers warranty expired after 12 months). Loved it, then all of a sudden, the screen is black,although it flashes when I take picture,and counter indicates that when I go to shoot ideo,it is going,, but again, nothing on screen. Whatis up??? $450.00 down the drain after 13 months????

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I googled and found this.This was for yout model camera btw. "There are various different types of rechargable battteries.

Check your camera, but i believe your using alkaline batteries when you need Nimh ones.
    When you buy some make sure they are rated 2500mv or above as they are best for lasting longer

Another problem maybe that you have caused a problem with the recharging of the batteries,
    Rechargeable batteries have a memory of sort, if you use them slightly then recharge them, they are only able to reach that point where u recharged them
    You should always complete decharge the batteries in the camera b4 recharging."

I have plugged in my DSC-T1 via charger cord without any batteries installed in my camera and the black screen problem is still there so the batteries are not the problem. I can take pictures with another camera and put the memory stick back in the useless camera and view the pictures, but unable to capture images so it's not a screen problem. My $80.00 DSC-S700 has outlasted 2 DSC-T1 @ $300.00 a pop.

those cameras with internal optics are very sensitive devices, what *kind* of black screen is showing up? If it is a black screen with the other hud icons showing up, its something obstructing the lens, if its totally black - then it could be a number of different problems. First worth checking of course is battery and power supply, but if those aren't it - fraid youll have to have sony fix it, or sell for parts..

There is a recall on the T1 and other cameras built around 2002-2004 with a CCD chip problem. The recall is good til 3/31/2009. Here is the link. Only $15 shipping charge.
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...T1&news_id=161

Sony has extended this offer to repair for free until Nov 30, 2009 with a $20 charge to your credit card. Follow that same link.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...T1&news_id=161

Go to the Sony website and find "support" for this model camera. I had the same problem and it is a known problem by Sony with the Image Sensor. If you send it to them by November, 2009, they will repair it free of charge!! Mine now works great just like "brand new"! Good luck folks.

The repair coverage has been extemded to March 31, 2010. I just sent mine in today.
    I hadn't used it for a while and yesterday it did not work and seems to be the CCD problem

Scott

My DSC-T1 just experienced the black screen problem for the first time yesterday. I found the info about the recall on this board and contacted SONY. They said I was too late and they would be happy for me to pay $91 to have the repair done that they were doing for $15 or $20.

I asked how I was supposed to know about the recall. They said there were ads and info on their website. I never saw any ads and I wasn't looking for repair or problem solving info on the website when I wasn't having any problems with my camera.

Has anyone received recall service after March 31, 2010?

Does anyone have a copy of the recall notice that used to be posted at
    esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=DSCT1&news_id=161
    They took this item away after March 31, 2010.

I just went through the same thing. I also have a DSC-T1 that takes (or took) all-black pictures.
    The Sony web site says that they are offering free imager replacements until 30 November. (See below.) At my expense, I sent the Sony DSC-T1 camera to the Sony repair depot at (of all strange names) "Backstage Pass", in Texas.
    The strange address worked; they got the camera, and fixed it, and emailed me saying that the camera was fixed. Then they tried to charge my credit card $90 for the repair. So much for the "free repair".

They emailed me a message complaining that my card had declined the charge. I used a Paypal card with only $30 in the account so that they couldn't do that to me. I was suspicious of the way that their web page form offered nothing but a $90 repair, and they were eager to get my credit card number and start putting charges on it, like for the UPS shipping. What happened to the free sensor replacement that they advertised on their web site?

I had clearly stated on the paperwork that I wanted the free sensor replacement that Sony offered on their web site. That statement was apparently ignored.

I emailed them back repeatedly, about 7 times altogether, explaining the situation and telling them that I was taking them up on their offer of a free sensor replacement, and got no reply. Apparently Sony repair service does not read their email.

Then they took the good sensor out and put a different bad sensor in the camera, and shipped it back to me. I got it yesterday. I know that the sensor is different: The old sensor took solid black pictures and had zero sensitivity to light. It was totally dead. The new defective sensor takes very streaky pictures, and is light-sensitive.

See this web page, that says it is supposed to still be a free repair until
    November 2010. Well, my calendar says that we still have 3 full months -- or are supposed to have.

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/announcement/398659

The Sony web page says:
    ==============================
    24-11-2006

Update on 4th June 2010: Please note that this free repair service will end on 31st May 2011 for DSC-T3 and DSC-T33, and on 30th November 2010 for all other models listed below.
    For more details, please visit the latest announcement here.

Thank you for your support of Sony products.

In October 2005, we issued a notice offering an extension of free repair service for certain digital still cameras that incorporated Sony-manufactured image sensor devices which displayed the following symptoms :

When the product is used in camera mode, the LCD panel or electronic viewfinder exhibits either a distorted image or no image.

We have now confirmed that in addition to the models covered by the last announcement, 8 additional models listed below may display the same symptoms, mainly in regions where there are climate conditions of high temperature and humidity. We are therefore extending free repair service to these models exhibiting the symptoms as explained above.

We apologize for the inconvenience this causes customers. Sony continues to strive to improve its quality standards to the maximum extent possible.

[Applicable models]
    DSC-T1, DSC-T11, DSC-T3, DSC-T33, DSC-U40, DSC-U50, DSC-F88, DSC-M1

[Countermeasure]
    For the applicable models which exhibit the symptoms detailed above, caused by the relevant image sensor devices, Sony will extend free repair service. Therefore customers who have the applicable models and who are experiencing these symptoms, and customers who have previously paid to have such symptoms repaired should contact your local service centre for further information. A list of Sony service centres can be found in the Support Network page.

================================================== =

Also see this page for the same message:
    http://www.sony-asia.com/support/announcement/58200

===============================================

Now that leaves me wondering: Is this a nationalistic policy?
    Do Orientals get their cameras defective Sony sensors fixed for free, while
    Americans have to pay $90 plus shipping?

Thread Information