Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Anybody with experience of Tamron 200-500mm/Sigma 150-500mm?

Hi guys!

My beercan is too short!!! At least for some purposes....

With my budget, I've narrowed it down to the Tamron 200-500mm and the Sigma 150-500mm. The Tamron here in Denmark is a little more pricey but it's 700g lighter....

Anybody got any experience of these lenses for your Sony's?

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

Cool Re: Anybody with experience of Tamron 200-500mm/Sigma 150-500mm?

I have personally shot with the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD for over three years. It has been a tremendous tool and rather easy to heft around.

Anybody with experience of Tamron 200-500mm/Sigma 150-500mm?-f-22_panorama.jpg

I got this handheld shot, last year, at the Oshkosh AirVenture 2008. I think you will be well served with it.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Re: Anybody with experience of Tamron 200-500mm/Sigma 150-500mm?

Thanks, Don!

Weight is definitely a major issue! I was just wondering if there was any major difference in image quality, all other things equal?

Mette

Image quality difference - probably not major. I have been using the Sigma 50 - 500 4.5-6.3 for a number of years on the A100, 700 and now 900 bodies. I really enjoy the results and the lens is permanently fixed to the camera - the range in focal length comes into its own more often than can be counted so if speed ( theres about one stop improvement at 150mm in the lens you are considering) is not the absolute issue why not consider this option. Price may be factor - not sure here - but weight is/may be a disadvantage with the Sigma. Nevertheless with the Sony in camera stabilisation shake problems are largely taken care of. I seldom (hardly ever) use a tripod and am satisfied with the results. Here are some shots from the 100 and 900 respectively taken at full zoom from some distance and subsequently cropped to bring the image closer. The red sky shot is at 50mm in low light, hand held and at 50mm.
    Hope this helps. By the way I have a friend who uses the 150-500 Sigma on his Nikon D80 and loves it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody with experience of Tamron 200-500mm/Sigma 150-500mm?-bl-sh-kte-grahamstown-dsc01813r.jpg   Anybody with experience of Tamron 200-500mm/Sigma 150-500mm?-pelican-nam-09-_dsc1292r.jpg   Anybody with experience of Tamron 200-500mm/Sigma 150-500mm?-red-sky-seascape-dsc00071-1r.jpg  

Thank you very much for your input, Dennis!

Mette

Lightbulb August Moon

Here's tonight's moon taken at 500mm with the TAMRON

Anybody with experience of Tamron 200-500mm/Sigma 150-500mm?-dsc04292-resized-800.jpg

SONY α700 w/ TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD
    @ 500mm - f/11 - 1/250 sec - ISO-200 - Spot Focus - Spot Metering - 2 sec shutter release delay - tripod

Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

I love the image quality taken with the Tamron lens. I was for awhile considering it, but the lack of money is holding me back right now. But soon that baby will be mine

Very crisp shots guys! That f22 is screaming.
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Thread Information