Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Any differences between an internal and external lens??

I am just looking at buying the Sony W90/80 or T20. Both cameras seem to have exactly the same functions so I am leaning toward the T20 becuase I dropped my old camera on the lens which had an external lens and it broke it . I thought that the T20 could solve this to some extent as its lens is internal. Just wondering if anything is sacrified in having an internal lens opposed to an external one like on the W90.

Thanks

Re: Any differences between an internal and external lens??

Mike:

The lens has to physically travel a certain distance from the sensor to get "zoom." If the lens can't travel, the camera will be limited to (inferior) digital zoom.

External zoom lenses are not limited by the thickness of the camera because they can be telescopic. External zoom lenses often have a lot of zoom, because the lens can move a long distance from the sensor.

Internal lenses can also be telescopic, but the overall travel distance must be much shorter because it is limited by the thickness of the camera itself.

Whether a camera zooms internally or externally doesn't make a difference in image quality. As far as I know, the only difference in zoom range for these two cameras is the wide angle/telephoto limits. The W80 gets a little wider than the T20, but at the cost of a few millimeters of telephoto. The extra wide angle that the W80 gets might be important to some photographers, but the extra few MM at telephoto on the T20 are not likely to be noticed - a little wide angle effects the photo a LOT more than a little telephoto.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Thread Information