Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Adapters & filters for H5 58mm

I am looking to purchase a telle & macro adapter for my Sony H5 camera. The sony brand ones are of course far more expensive then many of the others and was hoping to save some $$ yet still get a good quality product I mean something like that 0.5% difference to me wouldn't justify the extra cost at this time.

some I have been looking at are the "merkury high def Professional Super 2X TelePhoto" which I have seen from $25-40 vs $100+ Sony 1.7, only found a few reviews but sounded like murkury took some good quality shots with minor darkening on the corners.

seen lots of macro filter kits around for cheap but not coated and im sure cheap crap. any one know good alternatives to the sony? 58mm?

Also would like the 3 main filters, UV,Pol & ND. found a good price on a kit for all 3 at $25, brand is bower and they are coated, any one know what they are like? never heard of them here in Canada. Had my eyes on the Hoya Coated UV locally its $27 alone for just that and $60 for the Pol.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Adapters & filters for H5 58mm

Not sure about the adapters but as far as filters I buy mine from ebay seller besteastern. They sell hoya pro-1 filters at good prices. The only downside is you have to wait a little longer for overseas shipping..

Thanks Canuck, will look them up on ebay and see what they have available and prices.

Not having used ANY of the cheaper options, I suggest going with the sony branded lenses. They are very high quality, and inexpensive compared to similar DSLR equipment.

Most of my macros are shot with the (cheap!) VCL-m3358, and I use the teleconverter extensively for birds during winter. Please search through some of my posts in the N&W forum if you would like to see examples, including the current featured photo :thumbsup:
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Thanks Sushi, I did a bit more research and was coming to the same conclusion to stick with the sony adapters. I had a look through your photos and you have taken lots of fantastic shots and I am happy to see the clarity still stays true when using both telle & macro adapters. Looking forward to having that telle and can stop using 3mp smart zoom for many of my further distant bird shots.

I read your suggestion about the flash defuser, I never thought about that, will defiantly be giving it a shot as I do find the flash still to harsh even when turned down at close range along with unwanted hard shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    Not having used ANY of the cheaper options, I suggest going with the sony branded lenses. They are very high quality, and inexpensive compared to similar DSLR equipment.

Most of my macros are shot with the (cheap!) VCL-m3358, and I use the teleconverter extensively for birds during winter. Please search through some of my posts in the N&W forum if you would like to see examples, including the current featured photo :thumbsup:

Thread Information