Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: a900 mirror..

a900 mirror..

So, I'm a little bummed... My a900 has it's first issue... The mirror came loose from the mirror box... Appears to have come unglued, much like me when I first saw no image in the viewfinder after taking a photo...

Off to my local shop to take a look at it and probably just re-glue it. However, just curious to see if anyone else has heard of this happening before...

Camera has not had any significant impacts, but has gone through some good heat cycles, most recently up on Mt Rainier in temps below 10-15f, (-10c) and then back to the hot sunny beaches of Santa Barbara, CA for a volleyball tournament...

I know this SHOULD be a quick fix, so I'm not stressing over it tooooo much, but I'm bummed none the less..

Greg

Re: a900 mirror..

I have heard of it happening but I think it's the first Sony I have heard of falling off. I also believe you are correct just re gluing will take care of it.
    I sent my a850 in for repair and it's fixed and headed back home. I have a very minor issue the the meter in the viewfinder wasn't working correctly. I sent it in because I was afraid that soon Sony may not offer repairs for it. I bought mine used off of Craigslist and it is getting repaired under warranty, you read that right. Even after I told them I bought it used.
    I think Sony has a flat fee for repairs, $308.00 + tax. Your friend probably can fix it much cheaper than that. Worse case you can send it to Sony in Laredo.
    Canon 5D kind of related.......
    http://captainkimo.com/canon-eos-5d-...m-it-fell-off/
    You can call Sony or go to their site and open a repair ticket. I have read horror stories about Sony repair but this is my second one to be sent off and they jump through hoops to make me happy.
    https://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do
    By the way I bought a backup a850. I love mine so much and I fear they are going to get harder to find.

I changed the focusing screen type on one of mine last week to a type L
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for the link to the 5d issue, this is exactly what happened... Didn't see any cases of this for Sony when looking around, but hadn't checked across other lines...

So, after some consideration, I elected to drop it off at my local shop, and let them manage the repair with Sony. The shop was for a second opinion, and I needed a lens cleaned anyway. We'll see what Sony comes back with. The shop estimated about $350-400 worse case scenario.

My thought process, similar to yours, was I didn't know how much longer Sony would be willing and able to work on this camera, so I should go ahead and let them do all they can now.

And, like you, I'm the second owner for this thing, so I'm curious to see what comes up on the warranty as well... Crossing my fingers, as the mirror coming unglued seems pretty basic to me...

So, another a850 for you? I'm envious, as I had liquidated all of my spares to support my lens collection and budget for the next top alpha... Now I'm headed up to Lake Tahoe this weekend without a camera... Really bummed... We'll see what my old 6mp point and shoot can still do.. ;) Served me well enough on rainier when it was too gnarly to take out the a900...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a900 mirror..-self.jpg  

Good luck. Yes I sold some of my unused gear to fund the a850. I almost picked up an a900 but my funds fell a little short. I just changed the focusing screen on the second body to the L type. I should be set for a long time.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Well, minor update... Camera is out of warranty, so repair will cost $382... Mirror, and some misc small parts that were damaged during the process. 2 to 2 1/2 weeks 'til I get it back.. The normal time quoted it seems...

They also noted that the prism was dirty, and offered to clean that for an additional fee... Evidently, the disassemble required for that is a bit labor intensive, as that would cost another $412 to take everything else apart, clean it, and re-fit it... Ouch... No thank you... Didn't have an issue with it before, and I can think of better uses for that $400....

Anyway, the dirty prism did and didn't surprise me. I mean, I've used this camera for a few years now in everything from the beach to blowing ice and snow, so I know it had a lot of opportunity... However, I didn't really notice anything in use, and it's not like I've had to clean the sensor itself very often... It does have me considering the merits of a truly "weather and dust proof" build vs one that is not....

Well at least it's fixed. I knew they had a flat fee. I got lucky the previous owner of mine must have had an extended warranty.
    Maybe your repair will get you to the next full frame release. The a850/900 cameras are tough as nails.

Sony a99/a7R

Indeed, I really can't wait to get it back and in my hands. It's going to be a tough couple weeks waiting for it now...

As for the next FF, we shall see... It does sound like the next one that I'd be interested in will become a reality sooner than later. However, I plan on sticking with my a900 for a while, allowing me to grab the next camera after it's had time to mature and depreciate a bit.

Now to go back and finish processing the last few photos I took with my a900 before I sent it away. I was too depressed to look at them until now...

Minor update... Just got a call from the shop, camera is back in from Sony... Nice turn around time... Can't get to it until the morning though.... Will update after I have a chance to check out the repair and take it for a spin...

G

Thanks for the update. When I sent my a850 in it was like sending my kid to summer camp. LOL
    I wish I knew how they cleaned a camera mine always come back looking factory new.

Sony a99/a7R

Finally got it back in my hands on Saturday. I hear ya on the cleaning. Looks like knew and works like it too.

They replaced the mirror box and focus screen.

More info soon, gotta run!

Okay, took it for a spin, it's all good. Can't see any dirt/muck through the pentaprism (OVF), so I'm not worried that I didn't pay extra to have that cleaned...

I'm really pleased that I only had to be without it for a couple weeks... Basically just one week at Sony. Having heard stories of folks being without their cameras for months had me a bit concerned.

Still, this does have me thinking about a better backup camera than my current little P&S camera... I hope I don't get my hands on an RX100, as I think I'd have trouble saying "no" to that... ;)

I'll take the camera out for a spin this weekend and see what turns up.

Thread Information