Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
    ELS

Konica Minolta (KM) - 28-75mm (D) lens

Hello:

Does anyone here, currently have and use (or anyone used to use) the
    Konica Minolta (KM) - 28-75mm (D) lens?

I was wondering what other's thoughts were regarding this lens, as a cheaper cost effective alternative, to the higher priced Sony 28-75 lens?

Thanks,

Have a nice day...

Ed

Re: Konica Minolta (KM) - 28-75mm (D) lens

The Sony's is the same design, but it has an internal focus motor, the KM one has a screw-driven AF motor. The KM one is faster, but the new Sony one should be quieter and drain less battery. If you adapt to an NEX camera, the AF on the new Sony will transfer, but not the KM (unless you get the uber expensive adapter w/screw driven motor.)

Personally I think its a no-brainer for the minolta version. The minolta version can usually be found about half the price of the new sony version, AND will have faster AF. I own and use the 28-75 KM version myself, its an excellent general use, excellent color. On a full frame it suffers a bit from edge quality, but it makes a great APS coverage, providing you don't desire a very wide starting angle, its 42mm equivalent may be a little tight for many. If you do desire wider angle, high speed zoom, check out the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

Many of our forum members own the KM 28-75, it really is the best option on a budget. If money is no object, there is always the CZ 24-70.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

ELS

Hello Charlie:

I would be using it on (one of your favorite cameras, BTW - "loved" reading your review, fantastic!), Sony A700...

I wonder (with the cost savings to being considered of course), what the IQ of the KM 28-75 would be, compared to the CZ 16-80?

Obviously, yes the cost is a definite issues for me...

Thanks for your insight, comments etc...

Have a nice day,

Ed

Ed, glad you found it useful. The a700 is a good piece of gear, I imagine mine still has many more years of service.

I don't own the CZ 16-80. If the choice were between those two I think IQ would be a moot issue, fairly comparable. The question is what matters more to you, the 16-28mm focal range, or the fixed 2.8 aperture. The CZ adds 30degrees viewing angle, the KM lets in about twice as much light through its zoom. Depending on your intentions and shooting style, one may be more favorable than another. If landscape shooting is an important part of your photography, hold out for the CZ.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

ELS

Hi Charlie:

Yes, I found your review extremely valuable.

I never received the hard-copy (printed) Owner's Manual with my a700, if you
    did and would "part with it" may I make you an offer, (via PM)?

Yes, I know that there are PDF's - but I like the book in my hand...and to carry with me, physically).. If you might part with it, please send me a PM here, Okay?

Great thought provoking ideas regarding the two lenses, as I was not thinking too much in advance of the constant f/2.8 capability, now that has me really thinking.

Appreciate your tips, and insights, as I somewhat overlooked that key feature by mistake.

That is why I enjoy being a member here...

Let me know Charlie, (please), about the owner's / user's manual, Okay..?

Thanks again,

Ed

Ed you can get the manual on ebay.
    Sony Alpha DSLR SLT User Instruction Manual (A SERIES) | eBay

I have the CZ 16-80. I wish it was 2.8. For a CZ I think it's a bit over rated. Though I sold the 16-50mm 2.8 I think it's the best kit lens I ever owned. With a little PP work you can get equal results with the 16-50mm. Just another option as I think it would be easier to find if shopping used.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

ELS

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Ed, glad you found it useful. The a700 is a good piece of gear, I imagine mine still has many more years of service.

I don't own the CZ 16-80. If the choice were between those two I think IQ would be a moot issue, fairly comparable. The question is what matters more to you, the 16-28mm focal range, or the fixed 2.8 aperture. The CZ adds 30degrees viewing angle, the KM lets in about twice as much light through its zoom. Depending on your intentions and shooting style, one may be more favorable than another. If landscape shooting is an important part of your photography, hold out for the CZ.
    Hello Charlie:

I replied to your PM, did you receive my PM to you...?

Thanks,

Have a nice day...

Ed

Thread Information