Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

A200 and SRT 101 lenses

I'm confused and am sure I'll get the answer here.

I have the A200. My father has an Minolta SRT 101. Will the lenses for this camera work with the A200?

I've read different things and can't seem to get it sorted in my head. I understand the Minolta auto focus lenses (from the 80's?) will work. I understand that the lenses for the SRT are manual focus. I've read something about adapters and am not sure if there is one available for the manual focus lenses to put on the Sony Alpha series.

Here's what I know about the MF lenses available to me:

a) MD ZOOM, 100-300 mm, 1:5-6-6.7

b) 1:3.5, f=23 m, no 710029

c) Soligor 49mm, 1:3:5, f=135mm

d) 1:1.7, f=55mm

Thanks for any info you can provide. Oh yeah, s-p-e-a-k s-l-o-w-l-y please. I'm really, really new to this!!
    DISCLAIMER: I am just a newbie. If I comment on your image I am only stating what I like and/or see. Otherwise, I have little technical knowledge to contribute.

Re: A200 and SRT 101 lenses

The SRT-101 is the MD mount, and it won't fit an af mount.

I know there are adapters for MD to AF Minolta mounts. I've never used them, but remember looking at them back in my Minolta film days. Aperture control is manual on the lens for the MD lenses.

I would assume that the same adapter would work for A200 in terms of fitting. I don't know if the A200 would mind it or not though.

They will require an adapter.

Because the MD mount (actually it was called the SR mount - MD being the most common) is too large to fit inside the alpha mount, the adapter has to move the lens out a few millimeters. This means that it will not focus at longer distances unless there is another lens in the adapter. These lenses are made with cheap glass and adversely affect the picture quality. Really not worth it.

However for close-up (macro) work, you do not need to focus at infinity. You can get an adapter without any glass and it will work just fine. Also, for very close-up work, you can get an adapter that screws on the front of you alpha lens and has threads to screw one of the smaller lenses (like the 55mm) you listed above on backwards.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I have tried using a MD mount lens on the Sony Camera (A200). I have both adapters, one with glass and one without. I mainly use the no glass adapter with my macro extension tubes or bellows to get very close to the subject.

Testing has proven that the adapter with the glass does degrade the image to, at best, "Snapshot" quality. It works, but not great.

Phil

Thanks for the replies. That's what I wanted to know. The possibility is there but it may not be worth it for both the money and quality issues.

I think at this point in my hobby, I'd be better off to invest in lenses meant for the camera and perhaps later explore the other possibilities. And I always have the SRT and lenses if ever want to experiment with film again.
    DISCLAIMER: I am just a newbie. If I comment on your image I am only stating what I like and/or see. Otherwise, I have little technical knowledge to contribute.

Thread Information