Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

A100 Night Action Shots- PLEASE HELP

Hey guys im new to the DSLR world, im decent with the camera and learning pretty quickly, but i have a problem. I need some help this weekend im going to Palm Springs for a Softball Tourny. I want to be able to take some night shots under the Field Lighting. I know these wont be to great seeing as how i cant get a new lens before i go, so im stuck with using the Kit lens that came with the camera. Any Ideas on certain settings i need to be using, to help me with the Shots.

Heres the equipment: Sony Alpha A100K- with the kit lens, Monopod, Ball Field Lighting
    Any help before friday would be awesome, im also playing tonight and thrus night, so i can try out your ideas then post them to look for advice. Thanks Alot Everyone

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: A100 Night Action Shots- PLEASE HELP

You'll probably have to bring the ISO up to 800 or 1600. You can try sports program mode or put it in aperature priority and open up to max aperature (f/3.5 to f/5.6 depending on the focal length). Good luck and please share your results with us!

Okay played with it a little last night, here are the pics

So the good news is i get to go and buy another lens tonight, got i littel extra cash flow. Let me know how i could have improved the pics if you have any suggestions thanks.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Looks underexposed, what was the ISO? A faster lens would definitely help, what lens were you thinking of buying?

Exposure?

I agree with my fellow Cali-Canuck. They look dark. What exposure mode are you using? Are you checking your exposures with the histogram?

A faster lens will give you more light. But no matter what you do, it's gonna be dark. I think the key is to get your exposure right - no matter what lens you have. The image quality of the Sony is very good - even at ISO 800. So pump up the sensitivity and watch your exposure. Make test shts and use the histogram to tune them up as you shoot. I would also advise another trip to the batting cage tonight. That's a great way to test. And I wouldn't be surprised if the actual game is brighter than the batting cages are.

Give us some more information on your camera settings and how you're shooting. If anything said above doesn't make sense, let me know so we can explain it or point you to some other resources. You might also want to post on the Sports Forum and check out the Learn section.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information