Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: 70-300g $480

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

70-300g $480

For those of us in the United States, Circuit City is selling the 70-300G SSM at 40% off. That brings it down to $480! Unfortunately my local stores have no stock left, and they won't sell display models at additional discount.

Re: 70-300g $480

I got mine........

heard someone found a 70-200 f2.8G there for $1079.... *WOW*

Heard that too. There were a couple stores that had some other Z and G lenses for sale... Someone actually found a 16-80mm CZ for that 40%... Lucky bums...

I'm kinda glad the local stores didn't have any stock of that lens.. I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat... Would have been nice, but...

Wow, that 16-80 would have been CHEAP. That would be really nice.

If only it was full frame crop. On that note, what happens when you pair it with the A900? Is it just some vignetting on the wide end?

I got mine....... 70 - 300 G

Now if timing had been different, and they had some 70-400g's at a discount... ;)

Not sure about the 16-80 on the a900... I would imagine some significant vignetting, but the a900 won't allow that, and switches to crop mode when it detects the lens... So, you get it basically in a700 mode when attached to the a900... Not ideal...

They still want over $600 here for the 70-300. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I've given up the hunt here in San Diego, all the CC's are pretty much picked clean..

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees
    Now if timing had been different, and they had some 70-400g's at a discount... ;)

Not sure about the 16-80 on the a900... I would imagine some significant vignetting, but the a900 won't allow that, and switches to crop mode when it detects the lens... So, you get it basically in a700 mode when attached to the a900... Not ideal...
    See, I knew nikon does that, but I am curious because I was able to pair my 18-70 kit on my maxxum 5 film camera, and it only produced serious vignetting between 18-24. Of course, it performed like crap, but it still gave the field of view. The A900 actually does have a crop mode though? How many MPix is it?

It matches up with the a700 at about 12mp in crop mode, but I should double check to be 100% sure... People really do refer to it as the a700 mode due to the almost exact same output, resolution and all... Shots compared between a900 crop mode and a700 are pretty indistinguishable in raw...

It would be nice to be able to turn off the "auto-crop" when it recognizes as crop lens, but I don't think this exists... As you said, the vignetting would most likely only appear in the lower end of the zoom, and really, may not be that bad... Worth looking into...

The vignetting on APS lens only obstructs 35mm field of view in the very wide angle of the lens, but it also reaches to the outer edges of the elements in ways that exacerbate any possible problems with the lens. Its like a reverse sweet spot. Like I said from about 22-70 there is no visible vignetting in the field of view.

And the pixel density of the A900 is 5.9 microns, and the A700 is 5.4 microns, so an APS crop of the A900 sensor would actually be like 9-10 MPix.

I was almost certain that the only distinguishing factor between APS lens and full frame with sony were the actual element sizes, no mounting difference like with EF and EF-S, and I don't think the electronics inside the APS lens indicate to the digital body that they are an APS lens. Think they just use smaller glass is all.

Brings me to another thought - why won't any manufacturers (besides Canon) produce the middle-ground frame sensors, the 1.2-1.3x crop APS? Its the perfect middle ground, I'd sure find it useful, wouldn't have to spend a fortune on lens to avoid lens problems (still bringing through a sweet spot, albeit a smaller one), but brighter viewfinder, greater field of view, lens resolution, etc etc etc.

Thread Information