Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Bracketing and Video?

Hi,I have had several Sony DSLR cameras and I find them to be an excellent value.I currently have an NEX 3, an A300 and an HDR SR5 Video camera. My plan is tosell the A300 along with the video camera and buy something that will combine the 2 into onecamera. I shoot mostly still photos but some video. So I purchased an A65V buthave not received it yet. I want to stay with Sony because of the good valuethey bring, innovation with the translucent mirror technology and because Ihave several nice Minolta and Sony lenses. One important features is theability to do bracketing for HDR. Well, after I made the purchase I read a bitabout the A65s inability to bracket adequately for HDR. I have done tons ofmanual bracketing with my A300, but it's a pain to do it manually. I justfigured the A65V would do this no problem. Apparently I was wrong. My questionis, does Sony make a DSLR or SLT camera that shoots 1080p video and does a goodjob with bracketing?>>
    Thanks in advance>>

Re: Bracketing and Video?

What are you looking for in bracketing? The A65 appears to do 3 at 3 EV increments or 5 at 0.7 increments. Do you think you need a wider range? More increments?
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    What are you looking for in bracketing? The A65 appears to do 3 at 3 EV increments or 5 at 0.7 increments. Do you think you need a wider range? More increments?
    That's a good question. I'm no expert but I was reading about the A65 and it's ability to do bracketing for HDR and it seemed the consensus was the A65 was inadequate for bracketing for HDR. When I do bracketing on my A300 manually, I use -1;0;+1, which gives me good HDR results. I guess that translates to 3 at 1 EV increments, so 3 at 3 EV increments or 5 at 0.7 increments should be plenty of range. Not sure what these photogs were complaining about.
    Last edited by Gregavi; 03-31-2014 at 05:31 PM.

I have the camera now and all it does is 3@.3 or 3@.7, unless I'm missing something, that's what it does. It's not quite what I was hoping for, but probably sufficient.
    Last edited by Gregavi; 04-04-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Looks like that's it. There are even some early manuals and specs that show the larger range. Looks like they limited it at the last minute before release. With a 12+ stop range of the RAW image and the extra 1.4 stops, that's still a lot of dynamic range.

You also have the somewhat limited option of the in camera HDR with 5 or 6 images. Only jpg, but...
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Looks like that's it. There are even some early manuals and specs that show the larger range. Looks like they limited it at the last minute before release. With a 12+ stop range of the RAW image and the extra 1.4 stops, that's still a lot of dynamic range.

You also have the somewhat limited option of the in camera HDR with 5 or 6 images. Only jpg, but...
    I probably will never use the on-board HDR since I have Photomatix.

Thread Information