Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

20% off Dell though Bing...

A850 - $1600

Dell is offering 20% off if you go through Bing. Just go to the Bing Search site and search for Dell. Follow the main link to Dell that has the little Cashback symbol by it. There is no indication within Dell when you make the purchase, but the reports are that the notification of Cashback comes through within a couple of days.

For most things you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere, but for things like FF Sony bodies that are never discounted, it’s a good deal. They don't give a price on the A900. The A700 is a good deal at $800.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Re: 20% off Dell though Bing...

Yep, saw that on another forum... The a850 is looking really nice at $1600.. Wish I had the money to spend on it...

The a700 can be found quite often at about that price, or slightly cheaper, other places though. However, availability is starting to become a problem for the a700, body only, so it's still a good option... Love that camera.... I'll use it 'til it dies, and hopefully that's a few years from now at least...

- G

I also wish I had the $1600 for an A850.

My A700 is in the shop - SSS died. They are starting to get scarce. Looks like Europe has just about run out. I think that A700 was the last 'Minolta' we will ever see.

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Well, every dog has its day, 'Clicker' ... and while production may cease, the a700 is still going to be out there for the next couple years. It is a solid build ... and has the staying power of the true Minolta line.

Obviously, SONY would like a flagship of their own. With the a900 (aka Minolta 9D) ... the a850 is simply a reduced version for a pricing angle. They still adhere to the Minolta design.

The much discussed a7xx will be a true SONY-camp design. Oh, it may have a few Minolta-inspired aspects ... but it will depart the "original" concept, with a leaning toward the "popular" features ... which really are not true DSLR aspects, but more hybrid in nature.

You might want to grab another a700 while you can. It is still quite a camera.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap
    Well, every dog has its day, 'Clicker' ... and while production may cease, the a700 is still going to be out there for the next couple years. It is a solid build ... and has the staying power of the true Minolta line.

Obviously, SONY would like a flagship of their own. With the a900 (aka Minolta 9D) ... the a850 is simply a reduced version for a pricing angle. They still adhere to the Minolta design.

The much discussed a7xx will be a true SONY-camp design. Oh, it may have a few Minolta-inspired aspects ... but it will depart the "original" concept, with a leaning toward the "popular" features ... which really are not true DSLR aspects, but more hybrid in nature.

You might want to grab another a700 while you can. It is still quite a camera.
    A700 will be available new for 2 years??? I think North America is the only place left where Sony is still selling them. I would love to grab another one.

I fully agree that the new ones will not be Minolta-inspired. In fact, I don't think that they will even use the 7xx model number for quite some time. APS sensors will be A6xx and cheaper FF will be A8xx.

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    A700 will be available new for 2 years??? I think North America is the only place left where Sony is still selling them. I would love to grab another one.
    I did not mean for you to understand "AVAILABLE NEW FOR 2 YEARS" ... what I meant is that people will still be using the α700 as their camera of choice for a couple more years. It has legs!

New folks to DSLR shooting will, of course, be tempted by whatever the 'new kid on the block' is ... so there is really no point in trying to market the ultra-stable α700 to them. I mean with cell phones changing every three months, with this feature or that ... kids do not realize the meaning of continuity ... just more "go with the flow" and the "peer" marketing that is going on in Best Buy, Walmart or wherever.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Ah, I misunderstood. There is always temptation, but the A700 will be my staple from a long time to come. I just hope it comes back fixed (fingers crossed). – TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Sorry to hear about your a700 OC, I'll send some happy thoughts your way that it comes back as good as new... And yes, I do expect you'll see these around for alittle while yet. Maybe not new in stores, but still actively used and worshiped as the last of a dieing breed...

I've been without my a700 for a couple days now, having let a friend borrow it to see if he wants to upgrade to it from his a200... I miss it already... ;) I can only imagine the feeling of loss having shipped yours out for repair...

I may let my friend hold onto it a little longer while I get out and shoot some film this weekend. It's been a while, and well, I want to remind myself where I came from.... Unfortunately, I lent him one of my favorite Minolta FF lenses with the camera, the 28-135mm... Oh well, time to shoot primes instead... ;)

Just an update:

A700 no longer at SonyStyle or B&H. Not very many left.

Mine is still in the shop. Needs a 'slider unit'. That's what makes/allows the sensor to move.

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Could you use it without the slider and just turn SSS off?

Yes, it was usable though a little noisy during sensor cleaning. Problems were that the sensor was stuck off center so that the viewfinder was way off and I like SSS! - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Thread Information