Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

A-100 Auto Focus issues

Noticing some auto-focus issues with the Alpha. Lower light seems to give it real trouble to finding the correct focus (it searches back and forth and then leaves photo completely out of focus). And even in good light, it seems to be off just a tad (only with 75-300 lens however). I've been fine with my 50mm macro in good light but in waining light it seems to have some difficulty. Anyone else notice this here? I know of a few others who are having the same issue. I don't know what it is, but i've tried several auto focus settings and to no avail. The only real issue i've seen with this camera yet. And even then, i've mangaged to work around it just fine. I think this is an issue Sony should know about, and is fixable.

C
    My 'new' signature:

Stay focused.
    www.photographic-central.blogspot.com

My old signature:

"Experience, is the reward worth living for"
    www.AlphaMountWorld.com

Re: A-100 Auto Focus issues

Low-light focus with slow lenses is bad on all cameras. If you experience the same problem with a 1.8 lens, then it might be time to look into it. Otherwise, it's par for the course.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Sebastian,

Aware about low light issues being normal, however, im talking about lower light. Light that a SLR should be able to focus in. It hunts more than it should in my opinion, and unless you own or have used this camera it is difficult for me to explain. I've even had it hunt in bright sunlight for no apparent reason... Again an issue I can work around but something worth mentioning for sure.

C
    My 'new' signature:

Stay focused.

My old signature:

www.AlphaMountWorld.com

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I know what you mean. The a100 struggles to find focus in situations where my Maxxum 7 wouldn't think twice to lock focus. An external flash with the IR focus assist beam will help. I found it frustrating shooting people at a wedding reception and just relied on manual focus for night scenery.

Hi everyone, BTW. This is my first post.

are you using the sigma 75-300mm lens? I noticed it too, didnt really have issues outside of it being really slow - but i tried it on my minolta 70-210 f4 and everything was back to normal, i think it might probably be an isolated issue with that particular sigma 75-300...

and that 50mm macro - is that the sigma f2.8 one as well? havent tried that one out yet on the a100.

Well no flash used with my new camera.
    But the one picture that killed me, if i can get any help on
    cleaning it up are these 2.

Help
    Nikesneakers

Quote Originally Posted by nikesneakers
    Well no flash used with my new camera.
    But the one picture that killed me, if i can get any help on
    cleaning it up are these 2.
    That first photo looks fine to me. I'm not sure what you mean by no flash since there was obviously a flash. I assume you mean no hotshoe flash - just the pop-up? Is the problem the flash reflection off the watch? I don't think there's going to be anything you can do about that.

The second photo is pretty rough. I'd have to open it in Photoshop to see if it's at all salvageable. But right now I'd say no.

You might want to repost these images on the Digital Imaging forum. Your question is more of a processing one than a camera problem.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

No im not using the sigma 75-300, the sony 75-300, which is the KM 75-300 that has been round for 12 years or so. I find that it's not just this lens now however. Again not a major issue but something worth mentioning so that a Sony buyer would know. Totally able to get around it but I think Sony should work on it.

C
    My 'new' signature:

Stay focused.

My old signature:

www.AlphaMountWorld.com

Thread Information