Where have all the members gone ?

I still come here on a regular basis, hoping for some activity, but nothing. There are still quite a few visitors here, but maybe because this forum site is so out of date, it discourages anyone from posting.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Liz

Re: Where have all the members gone ?

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    I still come here on a regular basis, hoping for some activity, but nothing. There are still quite a few visitors here, but maybe because this forum site is so out of date, it discourages anyone from posting.
    I wonder the same thing. It's discouraging. I've always loved this site. However, I've had so many problems posting here this past year, that I just "quit" for a while. Then I came back and the "glitches" aren't there anymore.

I wish there were some way to contact the members that used to hang out here, but it would take a lot of time and work that I don't have.

Thanks for bringing the topic up. Even some of the people who were staying around aren't posting anymore - i.e. "Grandpa" - who was taking good care of any problems.

It's too bad because this was always a friendly place. I do go to dpreview - not always as friendly - but a pretty good website. I just miss the people here! We built relationships and there was always a lot of support.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I wonder the same thing. It's discouraging. I've always loved this site. However, I've had so many problems posting here this past year, that I just "quit" for a while. Then I came back and the "glitches" aren't there anymore.

I wish there were some way to contact the members that used to hang out here, but it would take a lot of time and work that I don't have.

Thanks for bringing the topic up. Even some of the people who were staying around aren't posting anymore - i.e. "Grandpa" - who was taking good care of any problems.

It's too bad because this was always a friendly place. I do go to dpreview - not always as friendly - but a pretty good website. I just miss the people here! We built relationships and there was always a lot of support.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Liz
    I also have joined dpreview, but like you miss the almost family like atmosphere this forum used to have. The only one who still drops by on a regular basis for worthwhile comments is Charles.
    Well, we'll keep our fingers crossed :-)
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

After not being around for years I came back hoping it would be the same and although I see many familiar names, it's like a ghost town. A real shame.Also the galleries take forever to have your photo uploads approved. Maybe this is part of the reason in addition to forums like photo challenge not being up to date. It's really sad, I learned much here back in the day and this place kept me on my toes.

I also learned most that I know today from this forum members. Guess the powers to be are preoccupied with other things to keep this site up to date. Would be nice if they found someone knowledgeable that could take over.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    I also learned most that I know today from this forum members. Guess the powers to be are preoccupied with other things to keep this site up to date. Would be nice if they found someone knowledgeable that could take over.
    Well, since none of the moderators replied, one can safely assume that this once great forum is dead. RIP
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

GB1

Volks - I wonder what's up. Did you consider contacting the owners and see? Maybe they would hire you PT to do so, if you are inclined to that (I don't have the time myself, unfortunately..)
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Pentax Forum Moderator

I guess I've chosen a good time to check in. I have been quiet for far too long :-( Life, time, non working equipment or the money to replace it have kept me at bay. But I miss the "family" that I first met on this site. They taught me a lot. Like the others here, I have yet to find a site with the expertise and friendliness that this site offered. The willingness of everyone to help advance the skills of all of us was and is still, I'm sure, far above any I've ever found.
    I hope it can get back to that someday!!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953 View Post
    I guess I've chosen a good time to check in. I have been quiet for far too long :-( Life, time, non working equipment or the money to replace it have kept me at bay. But I miss the "family" that I first met on this site. They taught me a lot. Like the others here, I have yet to find a site with the expertise and friendliness that this site offered. The willingness of everyone to help advance the skills of all of us was and is still, I'm sure, far above any I've ever found.
    I hope it can get back to that someday!!!
    I think the only way this once great photography site can be resurrected is for Photo John to hand over the reins to someone who has the knowledge, desire and time to bring this site up to date. Until that happens I think the very few of us are wasting our time and concern.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

ooks like it's not going to happen.

My understanding is that PhotoJohn was employed to manage PR but did not own it. The site sold as part of a technology package and John was not retained. The new owners opted to just let PR run on cruise control.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I think that there is no one person (nor even a group of people) who can "save" this site. What made this site great once was the diversity and participation of the members. Now we (with the exception of the few remaining regularly participating members of which I have NOT, in my admission, been a member) are the problem; but we could also be the solution.

I come here every few months to see what activity has been generated. If I don't see much, I quickly move on and therefore contribute to the problem. Again, I feel that no one is to blame. But more activity should invite more activity. But how to get that ball rolling I don't know except to ask all members to just reply with something, anything, to keep the dialog alive.

It is disheartening to see so many new members with just a handful of posts. I remember when I joined how easy it was to rack up my first few hundred posts and images. I watched the Nature and Wildlife forum quickly double, triple, and quadruple in the number of threads and posts. Those days were awesome!

Perhaps it is just a sign of the times. So many people are using there smartphones for instant gratification of posting images and making quick responses. I only post/comment on this forum when I am on my computer. So perhaps sites like these are just too inconvenient/impractical to invoke meaningful responses and thoughtful advice.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information