Thread: Spammers

Spammers

What is it with the spammers lately, there seems to have been an inordinate number of hits on the forums
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Re: Spammers

:mad2: It is ridiculous and there is absolutely no need for them to get through. It does NOT happen on other forums on various topics that I use. It is getting to the stage where it is not worth checking in...:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    :mad2: It is ridiculous and there is absolutely no need for them to get through. It does NOT happen on other forums on various topics that I use. It is getting to the stage where it is not worth checking in...:mad2::mad2::mad2:
    Combine that with the fact that real members do not comment on new threads ...

Sorry, what do you mean????

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    Sorry, what do you mean????
    sorry that was to brief,
    what I mean is that the combination of spammers, and that causing little participation of the forums members can make it more discouraging to post photos, and to be looking for threads where to comment

Quote Originally Posted by hminx View Post
    What is it with the spammers lately, there seems to have been an inordinate number of hits on the forums
    It seems like at regular intervals the forums get targeted by spammers - usually after we make some sort of change. And we've made a bunch of changes recently. Believe me, I'd like it to stop as much as you - probably more. No one is on the site more than me. Someone suggested that I set up the forums so that everyone's first post has to be approved by a mod. That's a great idea and I would like to implement it but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. I am taking your posts about the problem seriously, though. And the moderators and I are all working hard to delete the spam and ban the spammers as quickly as possible.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    sorry that was to brief,
    what I mean is that the combination of spammers, and that causing little participation of the forums members can make it more discouraging to post photos, and to be looking for threads where to comment
    Armando,

Muchas gracias amigo...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    It seems like at regular intervals the forums get targeted by spammers - usually after we make some sort of change. And we've made a bunch of changes recently. Believe me, I'd like it to stop as much as you - probably more. No one is on the site more than me. Someone suggested that I set up the forums so that everyone's first post has to be approved by a mod. That's a great idea and I would like to implement it but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. I am taking your posts about the problem seriously, though. And the moderators and I are all working hard to delete the spam and ban the spammers as quickly as possible.
    John, here's another suggestion. I moderate a forum that has some of the some of the same problems- particularly with link-spam. We have instituted a policy that new members cannot include links in their posts until they achieve a post-count of 100.

I don't know if that's possible for you logistically, or how good an idea it is on a photography forum (the forum I moderate is a Photoshop forum), but it has cut the number of spammers on our boards pretty effectively. Of course, there are always the die-hards.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Quote Originally Posted by Medley View Post
    John, here's another suggestion. I moderate a forum that has some of the some of the same problems- particularly with link-spam. We have instituted a policy that new members cannot include links in their posts until they achieve a post-count of 100.
    I don't think it would make that much difference. We actually have it set now so they have to post 10 times before they can post a link. But a lot of the spam is generated by robots that don't bother to see if their links work. So they just post a bunch of gibberish with links that don't even work. I really like the idea of the first post needing to be approved. There are some technical issues with that, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information