Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The new olympus banner ads...

Well I've had very little time to spend on this site lately, what time a do have is consumed by that add.... it's too much! I guess I wont be around anymore. I have to give one last big thank you to Loupey for all the help he has provided. Good luck and best wishes to all the great people here.

I'm Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Copy_Kot
    Well I've had very little time to spend on this site lately, what time a do have is consumed by that add.... it's too much! I guess I wont be around anymore. I have to give one last big thank you to Loupey for all the help he has provided. Good luck and best wishes to all the great people here.
    I'm sorry, I have a hard tie understanding. If the close button isn't working, that's a problem. But I'm probably on the site more than anyone and I'm ok with it. Of course, I'm more sensitive to how much we need the income from this ad. But when I see it, I usually just wait for it to do its thing. If I accidentally click on it and the Olympus site opens, I just close it. No big deal. The bottom line is we have to have ads to pay the bills. And we do our best to balance the needs of the community with the needs of the advertisers. You can't have one without the other.

I'll look into problems with the "close" button. I haven't had any. But I'll do some testing.

Thanks for working with me and being sensitive to the financial reality of the site.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John, which browser are you using? I use Firefox and the ad only closes about 50% of the time. The rest of the time, while the pictures don't display, the ad still stays open. So, for example, I'll go to click the "New Post" link but, since the ad is still open in the background invisibly, I just keep clicking through to Olympus. Does this make sense? I hope I explained it correctly. On the downside, it gets extremely annoying, though on the upside, registers as a boatload of click-throughs for you which I'm sure Olympus will love. As much as I hate the ads, I'm willing to bear with them as I've come to love this site and think of it as a home away from home. However, if you ever decided to take paid memberships, I would much rather pay a yearly fee than deal with the ads.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    John, which browser are you using? I use Firefox and the ad only closes about 50% of the time. The rest of the time, while the pictures don't display, the ad still stays open. So, for example, I'll go to click the "New Post" link but, since the ad is still open in the background invisibly, I just keep clicking through to Olympus.
    I have had the same issues with Firefox.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I really don't understand what everyone is talking about. I see an ad on the top of my screen and 2 on the right side. They don't do anything, just sit there. They don't have any affect at all on what I'm doing. They don't slow me down or get in the way. I don't get it.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

What browser are you using Mike?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

IE7 with XP.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Perhaps your system is set up to block the flash grapics of the add, or maybe they changed them as I haven't noticed them in the last 2 days. Anyway, there is a flash graphic that shows a guy on a mountain bike that goes across the screen. It originates from the ads, both the one on top, and the one on the side. They slow the browser down, and many times they will take people to the Olypus website, without them even realizing they clicked on anything.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Here is a trick I have uncovered to make the scrolling experience easier when the ad pops out:

Usually using my mouse scroll wheel will simply scroll the ad up and out of my vision, when the page I'm viewing is long enough to warrant it. I can usually also click on the "down" scroll arrow on the web page and scroll it down manually. Either way, the ad is gone and I am able to navigate freely after that.

I hope this helps some people having trouble with it. I know John is doing his best to balance the budget and meet people's needs on the site. Hang in there guys
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Okay, it's official the Olympus mountain bike ad at the top has finally driven me nuts! :mad2:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information