Cool A Member for Almost a Month

I would like to thank Photo John, the Moderators, and Members for a great site. In the short time I have been here, I have learned a lot especially about Digital, and hope that I have contributed a small amount.

The threads (something else that is new to me) are a really great way where for people with like interests to exchange their opinions, and expertise, in a basicaly free form, without rancor, and in this case improve our skills and advance the art of photography.

As a DIE HARD film guy, I was amazed at how good the some of the Digital images are, and shocked that I could actually admitt that there is a place for Digital. But then the Old Time Press Photographers from my youth probably could not admitt that a 35mm SLR was the equal or better than their 4X5 Speed Graphics. But such is progress.

To me the "Magic" of photography is to take your time: Think, Picture What You Want To Show, Compose, Focus, Compute and Set Exposure, and Depth of Field, Take a Deep Breath and THINK, Recheck Everything, another Deep Breath, Exhale, and Gently Press the Shutter Release. Then the real Magic Starts, You Go to the DARK ROOM, Develop the Film, Try Looking at the Wet Negative, Make your Contacts, Select your Keepers, Frame and Crop your Negative Images on the Enlarger, Expose the Paper, and Watch the "MAGIC" of the Images and Colors Slowly Appear on a White Sheet of Paper, while you Slowly Agitate your "PHOTOGRAPH" in the Developer. Whew, a lot of work but also a whole great big bunch of fun.

But I guess that Digital can do the same without the Chemicals, Anticipation, and Waiting, but I always thought Anticipation was more than half the fun, and I love the smell, of Developers and Stop Acid.

So to my New Friends on Photography Review, both Digital and Film, Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving.

And most importantly keep capturing great images.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Re: A Member for Almost a Month

Well said slayman. I am a new member here as well. I cant tell you how much this sight has helped me in digital photography. The people and the knowledge they give, make for one great forum. I was raised in a darkroom and had a hard time turning the page to digital. But in actuality they are both very similar, just with some different terminology and techniques. The convenience and speed of digital is nice, yet if you want to spend the time to learn the "digital darkroom techniques" the option is there, just as we did in the film darkroom. I'm looking foreward to your future posts.

Darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I think the people that have used film before digital was a viable option end up using digital better or at least being able to make the transition.
    Especially the part about figuring out what you want, thinking it through, etc.
    Just because you can take hundreds of shots and hope something comes out ok, is no
    reason to actually do so.
    You have both been good additions to these forums in my opinion.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I have a hard time waiting the 8 seconds it takes to render the RAW file and open it in Photoshop. TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks guys,

BTW when the wife started to complain about the delay to get film photos as opposed to instant digital images, I told her that for me it is the same as taking our time when doing other things, fast is not always better for everyone. :LOL She said OK with a great big smile.
    Bill,

Canon T2i, 18-135 IS

Bill you need to post some of those film shots in your gallery and share them. I certainly would like to see them.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Greg,

I lost almost everything in a house fire 18 months ago furniture, clothes, guns, plus my darkroom, cameras, negatives, transparencies, and photographs accumulated from 1952, as a matter of fact I barley got out myself. I have just recently replaced some of the cameras and lens (some are irreplaceable).

Since I am barley able to e-mail and surf the web, I plan on learning how to scan photos, transfer them to the computer, establish a gallery, then upload some of the fair ones to PR in the next few weeks. Then when I return to the US in June from my next trip to Brazil I plan on starting some serious posting of photos. At that time I also hope to be able to start on a new darkroom.
    Bill,

Canon T2i, 18-135 IS

Liz

Bill,

Thanks for a wonderful thread. You express yourself quite well and I find it interesting to read your thoughts on film vs digital.

Welcome to the Forum, btw. I'm happy you're enjoying PR. I've been around for about 8-10 years, and most of what I know about photography I learned from my friends here. I came here looking for advice to help me choose a p&s. After expressing my interest in photography, everyone encouraged me to look at an slr. So I purchased a Rebel - and that was the beginning.

Like you, I waited quite a while before I would agree to even look at a digital camera. I thought nothing could match film. I finally gave in and purchased a digital Rebel 300D. I haven't turned back. I still love film. B&W was always my favorite - and it still is (I just try to get the best I can from digital). I purchased the Panasonic LX3 for the dynamic b&w feature. My main camera is now the EP1 since I needed to sell the Canon equipment due to back/neck problems carrying it around.

I've read many of your posts and threads with interest. You always make them interesting and fun. You're an asset to the forum and it's great you're here.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I think the people that have used film before digital was a viable option end up using digital better or at least being able to make the transition.
    Especially the part about figuring out what you want, thinking it through, etc.
    Just because you can take hundreds of shots and hope something comes out ok, is no
    reason to actually do so.
    You have both been good additions to these forums in my opinion.
    Thanks Frog..You are one of the reasons that makes this forum a great place to be.

Darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Thanks for the kind words, I just try and say what I think and feel, and if I can not offer something constructive I try and follow the advise of my father, "If you can not speak well of a man, do not speak at all".

Again, Thanks for the kind wordsl
    Bill,

Canon T2i, 18-135 IS

banished

A Member for Almost a Month

hello all,
    does anyone here know who is the longest running member on here,
    or in fact the person that started up the forum? are they still a member.
    What was the jref forum originally designed for?

Just a few facts that might be interesting to know?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I assume that would be Photo-John...captain of the ship or so he likes to think.
    Looked him up on members list but doesn't say when he joined...but I'm pretty sure he started the whole thing.
    There're members here who have been around quite a while.
    I still consider myself a newbie.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I believe this is the guy....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Feel free to edit my images, just let me know what you did.

Nikon D90 w/18-105 VR, 70-300VR, 35mm f1.8G &Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight (x2) w/ Gary Fong 1/2 Cloud Light Sphere (x2) and 1 Cloud
    Slik Pro 700DX tripod w/Vanguard SBH-200 ball-head
    Panasonic ZS8

My photo's:
    http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...20Photography/

Quote Originally Posted by MNRyan
    I believe this is the guy....
    Could be

That date isn't actually accurate. That's when we started using this forum software. I actually "joined" in July of 1999. And I use quotes around the word "joined" since I started the site and that makes me the de facto first member

I'm wondering what hectorloshuk means by "jref forum." The site was intended to be for photographers of all types to learn and share with each other. The foundation of the site is the huge photography equipment user review section. We've been collecting camera and accessory reviews from camera owners since 1999 and we've got reviews for thousands of cameras, lenses, etc. The forums are a compliment to the user reviews and offer photographers the opportunity to share their photos, experience and photography technique. For some members, the forums are the meat of the site, although I see them more as a compliment to the user reviews. Every part of this site - forums, reviews, articles, news and gallery is important. I encourage everyone to explore - there are links to all the main sections of the site in the navigation at the top of every page.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information