login page disappears

When I login to this site the browser ways "done" but the page has disappeared and I have to hit the back button to get back to the home page (or any other page I log in to). Also, when the page loads the entire viewable portion drops down in my browser so that I have to scroll down to see it. This does not occur on the forum pages. Just the home and general pages. What do I have to reset to stop this from occurring. Windows XP Media Edition Pro and FireFox 1.0.7.
    I Still Like Film Better

Re: login page disappears

I'm not seeing the problem with IE.

You might want to try this. It can't hurt. Log out. Try deleting your cookies and any temporary internet files (cache). Try logging in again. See if that makes any difference.
    Lara

This is a known problem that is being looked at, there are many off us having similar problems and even after doing what Lara suggested it still hasn't fixed the problem.

Happens at all different screen modes as well.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

Hi Lara,

The reason this is happening is because the html on the login.php page is incomplete - the html & body tags are missing. Right now all it ends up with is:

Code:
    <form method="post" name ="thisform" action="http://forums.pcphotoreview.com//login.php">
    <input type=hidden name="vb_login_username" value="Mig">
    <input type=hidden name="cookieuser" value="1">
    <input type=hidden name="vb_login_password" value="NotTelling">
    <input type=hidden name="s" value="">
    <input type=hidden name="do" value="login">
    <input type=hidden name="forceredirect" value="1">
    <input type=hidden name="vb_login_md5password" value="yadayadayada">
    <input type=hidden name="REDIRECT" value="http://forums.photographyreview.com/index.php?">
    </form>
    <script language="javascript">
    document.thisform.submit();
    </script>
    IE will let you get away with this, but REAL browsers (sorry - gotta get my IE digs in) expect complete code.

You can test this by looking at the source of your own login.php page. Save the source as another html file and try opening it with both IE & Firefox - it will only work in IE. Now add <html><body>......</body></html> and try it again - it works in both.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Except it happens after the login has happened and on subsequent pages it is intermittently happening, so I don't think that is the main cause of the problem.

I just checked a page that this happend to me after writing this original two lines and viewed the source as well. There is a <body> tag and and ending </body> tag as well in the coding in the correct places as well.

What I don't understand is why the css style information is contain in the page and not called from a file but that could have to do with vBulletin doing that in their coding.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2

Hi crotograph,

1st - welcome to PR!

2nd - I answered the login issue below, but I'm not experiencing the content-dropping issue. Right now I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with Firefox 1.0.7 I have seen that happen with Firefox and other websites, but never here. By general pages do you mean the Reviews, Shop, Share, Learn tabs?

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2

Exactly....it's not the login page that's failing - it's the redirect AFTER the login, which is what I posted. The actual login happens right off the main forums page (index.php) - it's processed by login.php, but it happens before it's rendered. Tthe info is passed to login.php, authenticated server side (which is why the html doesn't matter and the login works), the cookie is stored and then login.php spits out it's own html, which Mozilla can't process to get back.

If you're seeing CSS you're not looking at the same page I'm looking at - it's also not happeneing intermittently to me at all - I can consistently reproduce it and no other pages are failing for me.

Danielle
    Last edited by Mig; 11-26-2005 at 12:46 AM.

K, thanks everyone. Let's see if John or the engineers have a fix for this.
    Lara

Lightbulb Re: login page disappears

Uhg ... I thought I fixed this a couple weeks ago. We had originally wanted to write a cookie to both the pcphotoreview and photographyreview domains so that you could write a review for either site with just one login. The only way to do this was with a complicated redirect using a form. (really ugly code.) This was a dumb idea to begin with and I pulled that code.

But, looks like the bad code came back to life on our staging server. Anyway, just moved the good code out ... it should be fixed.

- MikeG

Thanks Mike!
    Lara

Thread Information