Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Just wondering why...

How come everyone wants to ignore new user's post in the Photo Critique section.
    I mean even if some one takes a quick picture that's not well thought out why not give them some critique about it, Most every it seems like all you top posters most always reply to your friends, or buddies post.
    I also know that I may not be the friendliest of a person on here, or Should I say I nick pick too harshly on some things, and others just ignore small details and complain only about bad lighting.
    Aren't we all suppose to help and show different ways of doing things, or giving tips to others in case they are stumped on a problem.
    I also know not everyone has the exact same style of shooting, and maybe some are trying to find there style.

Sorry for the rant.

Mod's and admins feel free to move to the correct section.

Re: Just wondering why...

You could have just posted this in the Photo Critique forum. But this is ok, too. This is 100% legitimate site criticism. I am not on the Photo Critique forum. But when I am, I make it a point to look for photos with few or no comments. I assume those are the people who need the most help. And I also think new members deserve the most attention. I want to reward the new member so that they'll stick around and become our biggest supporters.

Bottom line - I approve of your rant and I'm glad you posted. Obviously we need to make sure that the Photo Critique forum is more than a popularity contest and a good old boys network. Message received. I'll see what I can do to improve things
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Sometimes I think I critique too much without putting something up for critique.
    I don't think it is necessarily newbies who don't get responses; look at the new Dave's, but sometimes I can't find anything good to say or its a type of photography that I'm just not into.
    I, for one, will pay closer attention.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I know this, I may not approve of all things, But I still try to keep an open mind.
    I know like Yellow-jackets and other Bee's I'm afraid of or don't really care for, But I still try to put it aside and leave some type of comment.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I don't spend a lot of time in the critique forum but here is a tip that I found really helps to get some feedback. When you post a photo for critique post a question along with it. If there is something you're not sure of about in the photo ask about it when you post the image. For example ask if you think the blow out highlights are too distracting, or does this composition work? I have found that by asking the viewer how they feel about one particular aspect of the image that I myself am questioning is the best way to get them to respond.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    When you post a photo for critique post a question along with it. If there is something you're not sure of about in the photo ask about it when you post the image. For example ask if you think the blow out highlights are too distracting, or does this composition work? I have found that by asking the viewer how they feel about one particular aspect of the image that I myself am questioning is the best way to get them to respond.
    That is a great idea.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

trigger happy geriatric.

I know how you feel. I posted some shots 24 hours ago and not even one cc. I'm getting to the point where, if members are going to get tired of crits, I won't bother posting anything. I was keen to participate and crit others, but now I'm losing interest.
    Last edited by Dave6223; 08-13-2009 at 01:45 AM.

I've been trying hard not to respond to these type of threads because I am not nearly as nice as most of the wonderful, helpful photographers in this community. Also, I'm not referring to anyone specific but to all who thinks that they are somehow being slighted on these forums.

Quit whining. These people are not being paid to do this - they a giving their time to provide help to the community. If you are not getting the response that you would like, maybe you should look at what you are posting. If you are looking for an overall critique, are you posting only your very best in the Critique forum? Are you working hard at incorporating the suggestions into the next photo you post? Do you say, "It's only a quick snapshot." when posting or replying (why would anyone want to waste their time critiquing something that you didn't put any effort in to produce). If it is one of the other forums, do you have a question, or are you just showing your work? If Viewfinder, why would you expect a response?

Again, sorry, but I have seen this community bend over backwards to help those who put in the effort to help themselves.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Dave, I try to critique everyone's thread when I look at them.
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

it's a give and take. if it seems like people are responding to the same members, it's probably because said members have responded to others. the more you post, the more familiar your name becomes, the more likely you are to get reponses. this site is a number of years old, some of the members have been here since it started.

like mike mentioned, it's also helpful if you mention what kind of help you're looking for. are you having trouble with exposure, composition, or post-processing...or are you looking for overall effectiveness.

if you don't get a response, it's nothing personal.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information