Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

New member needs video help with D7000

I have received a PM from a new member about shooting movies with the Nikon D7000 and playing them back in slow motion. I haven't used the video much so I am posting this on the forum so he can get access to members that use the video more than I do Please welcome Raymond K and see if you can help him out to get his questions answered. Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: New member needs video help with D7000

This sounds like more of a general video question than a D7000 or Nikon question. Maybe Raymond can post some more detail about his problem? I'd like to know what video settings he's using in the camera, if he's trying to edit the videos and if so, what software he's using to edit them.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi there Jeff,

Thank you for posting this and I look forward to any good suggestion which would allow me to do this. I'm sure that I'm not the only D7000 user who has come across this "problem" - or am I?

Best regards,

Raymond K

Hi there "Photo-John",

You are probably very correct in that (maybe) it's more of a general question but I initially posed it to Jeff (i.e. Grandpaw) as he has a more than useful forum for D7000 users.

All I'm really trying to do is to take video using the D7000 (which, unless I'm mistaken allows me either pnly 24 or 25fps in full HD) and then, in some way, play it back in "slower motion". I understand that the Canon is able to film at 60fps but Nikon can't!!

In no way am I using any video editing software either. If I'm really showing myself up as a total novice, I apologise but I'm still trying to get to grips with the camera and just felt that there must be a way of doing this.

Maybe I'm wrong??

Thanks for showing interest in my "problem" - best regards,

Raymond K

D7000 shoots at 24 or 30 fps in the US, and in PAL countries the choices are 24 and 25. You can only choose the frame rate at 1280x720 resolution. At 1920x1080 it's only 24, and at 640x424 it's only the higher rate.

You can't change the playback speed, as far as I know.

The maximum fps isn't necessarily a Canon/Nikon issue, but a specific camera issue. Realize that the D7000 is a 2010 camera.

wfooshee has it right. You would need a camera that can record at 60 FPS and then play back at 30 FPS to do what you want. If that is something you really want, all of the new Nikon DX cameras can do 60 FPS at 720p - the D3200, the D5200 and the brand new D7100. Otherwise, you're only option is to use video editing software to slow down your video. But once you start editing like that, you're opening up a whole new can of worms.

By the way - you never have to worry about asking any question here. Everyone has to learn at some point and no one is going to treat you poorly here, no matter what questions you ask. One of the main things about these forums is we are friendly to everyone. Everyone is welcome. So - welcome. We're glad you found us
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi there Photo-John and Wfooshee,

Thank you, both of you, for having taking the time to reply to me about my "slow-motion" video playback - I have to be honest that I did imagine that it was NOT possible with the D7000. Still, being honest, I'm still trying to learn how to (correctly) use it for photos so it's really not the end of the world as I probably still have months of experimenting with it.

Very best wishes from London to both of you!!

Raymond

Thread Information