ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Ctn

A step into full frame (high iso performance of the 6D)

Hello again,

It has been quite a while since i have posted here. I have been very busy exploring analog photography, developing and even printing in my bathroom (extremely rewarding and interesting stuff).

In the mean while i have also purchased a Nikon D600 in which i was enormously disappointed due to the well known sensor residue issue (cleaning was needed after every 200-300 shots, even after the 3000 mark) and somehow very disappointing autofocus (it was miles off, to much to adjust in the menu). I was able to exchange it (without putting in extra money, i love the shop for that) for a Canon 6D and a sigma 50mm 1.4 and i absolutely love it for its amazing high iso performance. The autofocus is good enough for me, and it is dead on every time.

I wanted to share a high ISO shot with you. This is shot at 12.800 with minor (i think even none at all) noise reduction. Noise is there, but it does not bother me one bit.
    Let me know what you think.

Just Me

Re: A step into full frame (high iso performance of the 6D)

Good high iso performance is becoming more and more common in many camera brands now including consumer level cameras after it was limited only to top of the line expensive ones. The noise here seems to be under control but I also saw the same quality in much cheaper, smaller and lighter weight cameras as well. I believe that big Nikon and Canon cameras ...and lenses are already loosing costumers to compact mirrorless cameras such as Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus. If Nikon and Canon don't catch up, they'll possibly see Kodak's destiny in their future.

ADDED
    Nikon and Canon cornered themselves and the situation became lose/lose for them because any mirorrless capable cameras will compete directly with their big cameras/lenses weather they're manufactured by them or by others. The market is being developed fast and its shares are being divided as we speak and first comes first served. There is nothing they can do but pay a hefty price for not being innovative enough ...and not believing.
    Last edited by geraldb; 02-14-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Visit My Galleries at: pixoto.com/kal/recent
    picasaweb.google.com/110080263866099360406?gsessionid=RuQL_e_fU_t-RyobiEri0g
    photoforum.ru/my/photos.php?lang=en

Please don't edit and repost my images.

Beautiful! Lots of great black-and-white tones in this image. I looked at the bog version on Flickr and it looks great. I can see some noise in the background but it's not unpleasant or distracting and I don't notice it at all where it would be a problem - in the skin and sweater. Excellent image quality - especially considering it was taken at ISO 12,800. Last year I shot with a few full-frame cameras (Nikon D800, Nikon D4, Sony A99, Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon EOS-1D X) and they spoiled me with their wonderful high ISO image quality. For me - a sports shooter - it meant I could shoot at ISO 6400 to freeze action in bad light without worrying about overly noisy images. That's huge for sports photography.

Having used both the Nikon D600 and the EOS 6D, you have some very useful experience to share. Please write reviews for both cameras in our user reviews section. We don't have reviews for either camera yet and could really use some. Here are links to those review pages:

Canon EOS 6D User Reviews >>
    Nikon D600 User Reviews >>

Thanks for sharing the photo and thanks in advance for your reviews! Looking forward to seeing more of what you do with the EOS 6D
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ctn

Thanks John,

If you are a sports shooter i'd recommend none of these two (D600 or 6D) as you will be depending on very accurate and widely spread focus points, which none of these two cameras have. ISO wise they will both serve you nicely, although the 6D clearly (at least for me with its, almost (this might bother some people) film like noise)) has the edge especially in the higher ISO ranges 6400+. I will have a shot at making the reviews, those will be my first reviews i have ever made.

Here's another shot, taken at a lower ISO.

Untitled

It seems like the 6D is designed for available-light shots like your first one. It has a limited number of focussing points but the center one is extremely sensitive (more so than any other DSLR).
    I don't understand why Canon would develop a new AF sensor with such specific characteristics for an "advanced expert" camera like the 6D. People are going to use it for just about anything and having more focussing points seems to be more important than being able to focus in near darkness.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

The high ISO shots from my D800 never stop amazing me. Sorry you had problems with your D600. I think Nikon may have fixed the issue now. I never did hear what caused it.
    But I haven't had one issue with my D800 but the AF certainly could be better. You can't have it all it seems every system has that one quirk that annoys people.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information